• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Front Spinner Bulkhead Deforming?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cameron

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been in the process of fitting a polished aluminum spinner to my O-360 powered Acro Sport II. I have a Sensenich metal prop, and an AC-1 spinner that I got from Aircraft Spruce.The prop bolts are 1/2" bolts, with washers, that I purchased from Sensenich.

Anyway, while I was cutting the blade openings, I just had the prop, with both spinner bulkheads, snugged down with the bolts. Everything was fully seated, but the bolts weren't torqued to 60-65 ft-lbs. Yesterday, I wanted to test run the engine, so I removed the prop, and the bulkheads, and then cleanedand reinstalled them. I noticed, as I was bringing the prop bolts up to torque, that they weren't coming up to torque as quickly as they should.I noticed real quick that the front spinner bulkhead was deforming under the prop bolts. Are spinner bulkheads made of really soft aluminum or something? Material was actually squeezed out from under the bolts, which made the bulkhead bulge a little around the bolt holes.I'll try and post a pic later today.

In my mind, the solution to my problem would to be to use thicker washers, with a bigger diameter under thebolts, or to install a6 hole,.125" thick aluminum plateunder theboltheads, so that the front bulkhead will be clamped moreevenly.

So...is this a typical problem to have? This is the first spinner that I have ever cut and installed and my problem couldjust be from my ignorance. Or, is my spinner bulkhead defective in some way.

Latest posts

Back