• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

FS: Lycoming Oil Filter Adaptor

wandersen

Reaction score
Cleaning out the hangar. Oil filter adapter for Lycoming Engine.
Got from aircraft salvage yard. I needed the B&C adapter for firewall clearance.
Markings on casting: DTC 204418-155 Made in USA
Has a oil temperature probe adapter fitting. No vernitherm.

$70 shipped.

002 (640x467).jpg

003 (640x598).jpg

Last edited:

Larry Lyons

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
As I don't have an oil filter and I know nothing about this, how do I find out what engines this will fit. An oil filter would be a nice up grade for Miss Smith next year.
By the way I have an 0-235, C2C
L

StinsonPilot

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I'd love to have it, but I've got the same problem as Ward. Just not enough room straight back.
That's a great price...

fidot

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Ward, you were 5 days too late -- I would've got it from you for my Cheetah. ;)

Visually, this looks exactly like mine -- I have one for an O-320. Part # is 77852.

In addition to this, you will need a gasket that goes between acc case and the adapter, new gasket for the Vernitherm, and a stud to replace one of the 1/4-20 bolts (vernitherm housing in the oil filter adapter "covers" one of the holes, so you'll be putting a nut on a stud there instead of a bolt). See Lycoming SSP 885 (link below).

Larry, look @ Parts Manual for your engine, it should have a drawing and part numbers. Also, Lycoming SSP 885 talks about spin-on adapters: http://www.7ts0.com/manuals/lycoming/EMOFK.pdf

Folks; after you buy Ward's and if anyone else needs one, David Fletcher @ FletchAir (http://www.fletchair.com/) sells kits for ~$250 (and not ~$700 as Lycoming does ;)).

wandersen

Reaction score
Hello Fi,

I had no idea what these were worth. In any case, I'm happy enough to move this out off the shelf rather than have it gathering dust. Also thanks for posting the SB.

I do have a gasket I can include - used only once :rolleyes:. They are pretty cheap.

Vernitherms are a bit spendy. I got mine from the engine shop, but many of the resellers will carry this. Mine is a Superior PMA unit. I could include the old one as well - likely perfectly serviceable.

You may need to install a stud in place of one of the screw/bolts for the holddown location behind the vernitherm housing. You can't get a screw/bolt through the hole due to the interference, so a stud is needed (looks like this is covered in the post above...) You can get studs from one of the various resellers.

Last edited:

fidot

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
So that depends on the engine; but mine has Vernitherm in the Oil Screen housing. You just transfer it to the Oil Filter Housing, and replace the gasket for a good measure... You probably might get away with even keeping the Vernitherm gasket (I haven't touched it yet; but looks like it's nothing but an oversized aluminum washer from the pictures..)

wandersen

Reaction score
Looking at the part number more closely, it is actually:

Markings on casting: DTC 204418-155 Made in USA. This gives more results in google.

There is a leading "2" (hard to see). Updated the original post.

Also there is another number sequence along the base hammered in with those number dies - 13571. Neither the SB or Google can make any sense of this number.

Last edited:

Latest posts