• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

FS: WACO 1930 Taperwing CTO airplane on ebay

Jerry

Radial Skybolt Builder: 213.5% completed
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, DL... good to know.

Reaction score
Yea you just don't bastardize a waco, it gets the real waco people upset.

wacoc8

wacoc8
Reaction score
If I remember correctly that airplane was restored by Jack Greiner. I am sure KK can provide some more details to those who may be interested since the airplane spent a little time at KE. As for Straightwings being converted to Taperwings, only certain serial numbers were eligible. There are many current flying Taperwings that do not fly very well, mainly due to the location of the upper wing being too far forward or too far aft. I am not saying this particular Taperwing flys badly, just be aware that some are particularly challenging. There are some Straightwings flying that have weight and balance issues also. Most airplanes of this period were tail heavy airplanes. When so many changes are made to an airframe (wings, engines, wheels, brakes, tail skid to tail wheel, etc,) it is most important to do your homework and do the work involved (scales, plumb bobs, etc) to rig the airplane properly and in balance.
In reading through the topics of rigging here on the forum, there are some VERY smart people participating on this forum. Please take advantage of this resource. I know I do.

Fly safe,
Dave

dxlyj

Reaction score
...As for Straightwings being converted to Taperwings, only certain serial numbers were eligible...
Thanks. I was not aware of that. I had been under the impression that the fuselages, tail, etc were identical and you could essentially unbolt one set of wings and bolt another on. Pretty neat idea. Brandley's Taperwing book shows this to be a very late Model 10 (I don't have the Straightwing book). S/N 3225 N845V (5/29/30) was Art Davis' last Taperwing and S/N 3234/N830V (6/3/30) was the last US-destined Taperwing built. There were a number built in '32 & '33 for export but their S/N's were all in the 3600/3700 range.
--
DL

BKF

Reaction score
You are absolutely correct - this is a converted straight wing. I participated in the conversion/restoration in Jack's hanger outside of Boulder. The wings were constructed from scratch by Jack and some other guys. They were already covered when I came on the scene.

When he was flying it to Vegas for a show and possible sale, he discovered that the top wing wasn't correctly positioned. CG was out, so performance was pretty miserable. I believe that he corrected it later.

Mudflap Aviation

Mudflap Aviation
Reaction score
Interesting thread. I'm just checking in to see if anyone knows of a Taperwing Waco project that is for sale. Preferably one that needs restoration and hopefully a new set of wings. :)

Shirley Girard, wing-builder, fabric person, Stuttgart, Germany, but that's not an issue. The customer will ship from the New World to the Vaterland.

wacoc8

wacoc8
Reaction score
Besides 844V there are 2 flying airplanes that can be bought but one is a flying project much like 844V and the other airplane was restored over 30 years ago but it does have original wings, which may or may not be a plus. I guess it all depends on how much you/your customer are willing to spend. A friend of mine has a complete New Taperwing project, set up for a Jacobs engine, that he would be willing to sell. It is complete less sheet metal, flying wires, etc. Sorry, it has new wings. If you want more info let me know.

Dave

Mudflap Aviation

Mudflap Aviation
Reaction score
Hi Dave,
Yes, I'd be interested in knowing more about them
. Here or by PM is fine. Thanks for the response! Wacos are rather rare in Germany, but this guy is a real fan and the Golden Age biplanes are very popular at Fly-ins.
Shirley

Latest posts