• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Fuel capacity

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pinballwizzard

Reaction score
The plans give the dimensions of the main tank but I didn't see any capacity given. I bought a tank already built so I need to check the capacity. Anybody have an idea on the capacity / dimension relationship? As I understand it 20 and 26 seem to be the norm. If I have a 20 I will have to start looking to swap if someone has a 26 and wants a 20. Or make a 26.

I saw in a newsletter that was posted (thanks for the great resource!) that someone had done a center section tank. I already built my center section and I can't imagine how a tank would fit in with the drag/antidrag wires.

Lastly, on some skybolts I have seen a 5 gallon round tank below the main tank, just how would that work out for fuel feed? I will be using a fuel injection system, does that allow for a lower pick up point? I am also looking at the possibility of a 5 gallon or so tank between the main tank and the front hole panel.

I know it sounds like I am trying to pull a Lindburg here and stuff fuel into every corner. I am building this as a local and cross country plane and not as an acro machine so having a Cessna 172 like 4 hour fuel endurance would be desirable and I am trying to work in the 35 or so gallons to make that happen.

Latest posts

Back