• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

fuel filter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I want to install a fuel filter, because I think it is a good idea. I fuel with boat gas and 5 gallon cans. I use a funnel with a cotton flannel liner to keep it clean, pours slow, but I have a few years left. I have a gascolator rear of the firewall. It had a cable to open the valve, such as a 150. The cable stuck open and dumped gas for 10 minutes plus on a flight over the saltwater to a flyin on and island. I did not like that. I took the rod out and taped the top and put in a plug, and a sample valve on the bottom. I also have a drain on the bottom of the tank. I have a new mechanical pump and a new bendix pump as a backup, the wobble went south. If the plane sits for a few days it takes quite a bit of cranking to start unless I run the electric first. overnight, no problem. I always close the fuel valve but I have left it open to see if it makes a difference, no. I suspected air leak but the tank is higher than the carb and if the fuel shutoff is open kinda rules that out. I want to eliminate the gascolator as I suspect it, the metal on the top is a little thin to support threads and a plug. It makes a poor filter anyway. So several questions, why does cranking give the symptom of no fuel in the carb. And filter choice. ACS has a million dollar filter and a 50 cent one that looks like it came off a VW. Both are out of the question. Is there a filter out there that works and is not out of sight $ wise. Do I really need a filter?

Tks

will

Latest posts

Back