• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Fuel System Issue - Almost landed in a field today...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just when I though everything was purring along nicely on my plane, I had a little issue today.

After a normal taxi, run-up, and takeoff, the engine lost power after takeoff dropping down to around 1700 RPM... not enough to maintain altitude. Luckily the RPM came back up to 2350 RPM after what seemed like an eternity of watching the ground get closer. Anyways, I regained enough altitude to land safely at the airport without further incident.

After landing, I did a full power run-up... 2300 RPM and everything seemed going fine... then I turned off the AUX pump and both the RPM and Fuel Pressure both took a nosedive for a few seconds before recovering. Needless to say, I am certain that this is a fuel issue.

Here is a fuel system schematic I found on the EAA website at http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation-...-articles/fuel-systems/basic-fuel-pump-system

5d54a19bc26a4c76b8a9591dfb18c7d7.ashx

My fuel system schematic is as shown below

It's different from the EAA recommended layout.

I've been reading up on Lyc O-320 engine driven fuel pumps and it seems that replacing mine would be a good first start as well as cheap insurance. I also plan on checking the checkvalve for proper function.

A couple of questions:

1. Should I replumb the fuel system to match the schematic?
2. Is there something inherently wrong with the system currently on my plane?
3. What failure modes might be causing the issue I experienced today.
4. Any other comments or suggestion?

Thanks,
Glenn

fuel.gif

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back