• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Fuel tank plumbing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NDTOO

Reaction score
I've been doing some planning and reading about fuel system plumbing. I have an upper wing center section tank and was thinking about setting it up to drain directly into the main tank. My question is where on the main tank do you attach the drain from the upper tank? Is it acceptable to have a tee on the bottom of the main tank (fuel feed) and tie the line from the upper tank into that tee or does the top tank drain need to enter at a higher point on the tank?

My thinking with it set up this way is that if there was 10 gallons of fuel left in the main tank and there was only, say, eight gallons in the upper tank, then there wouldn't be enough weight of fuel in the upper tank to overcome the greater weight of fuel in the main tank and it would not gravity feed into the main. Am I thinking correct here guys??

I don't have an inlet midpoint on the tank but could have one insalled if necessary.

Latest posts

Back