• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Fuel vent problem, Acro Sport 2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AaronM

Reaction score

I was having some fun in my Acro Sport 2 last weekend and ended up losing an engine. A dead-stick landing quickly followed. I was able to get it down without damage to airplane, property, or myself.
Conditions of failure:
I was on my 12th or 13th aerobatic figure during a play session. I had done several maneuvers initiated from both upright and inverted. As I began the looping portion of a reverse half-cuban (5/8 loop following a roll to inverted on 45 upline), the engine quit. A quick check of the fuel pressure indicator showed absence of fuel pressure. Return to positive G did not regain fuel flow. A shot on the wobble-pump did regain pressure and momentarily restart the engine.

Post flight analysis:
I wasn't sure if I had something wrong with the flop-tube so I intended on using the dipstick to probe for tube freedom. As I released the pressure cap the tank sucked in a bunch of air. I was able to start and maintain fuel pressure at this point, so I taxied to the fuel pump.

At the pump:
I started off with 15 gallons. At the pump, the dipstick showed around 9.5 gallons. I intentionally overfilled the gas tank to see if fuel would run from the tank vent tube. As I got the fuel level high enough to do so, fuel began to exit the vent tube on the left gear-leg. There did not appear to be any contaminants or solidobjects that could have caused this discrepancy. To me this does not indicate a blocked tank vent.

Post pump engine runup:
So I had to try something. I sealed the pressure cap and started the engine. I ran the engine for about 15 minutes with the brakes held. For the record, I ran the engine well above half throttle for most of that time (at which engine temperatures started to rise and make me nervous). I exited the aircraft and quickly opened the pressure cap on the fuel tank. It exhibited normal behavior (did not gasp for air).

Any suggestions/comments/further troubleshooting would be GREATLY appreciated.

-Aaron McCartanEdited by: AaronM

Latest posts

Back