• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Fun with S1-11B drawings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garyg

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
So I get the fuselage powder coated, after all all the brackets are welded on. A test fitting of the wings and tail look pretty good, trim system ok, pedals look ok, torque tube needs some bearing work but mostly ok.....

And then. I start looking at the fuel system again. Now the fuel system in the drawings is something that would make Rube Goldberg proud. So I think the simplified version will be much, much easier. Until I just got bit by the drawings and the welder who didnt spot that what he had just welded was impossible, even if it was done to the drawings.

So on the weld drawings 11-210 page 4 it shows the gascolator bracket being welded between 15 and 3. On the fuselage, this places it under the foot plate. This is impossible. Drawing 11-603 shows the bracket as being between 17 and 3 under the seat, plenty of room. So now I have 4 choices: scrape off the powder coat at those spots and weld a bracket and try to touch it up, create a new bracket attaching to foot plate and using tube clamps, re-locate it or delete the gascolator entirely and hope for no condensate/water in system. The last one doesnt seem wise but maybe ok? There is another drain but not really a circulating one. What's the vote here?

More fun with drawings: On 11-260 page 4 detail L, it shows the thru bolts for the trim as being horizontal. On 11-510 page 2 -34 horn shows the bolts as vertical. I saw 11-510 and drilled the holes. If I had placed them horizontal, I might be better off but the box shortens the horn sufficiently that it makes being 1/2 inch from the ends and horizontal difficult. To add to that, the plans drawings show the trim cross tube as extractable from the horizontal stabilizer from the outer side. This is impossible with the mod since the end is shown as welded on in the plans drawings and the ribs directly in the way.

Lastly on my trim solution, I heard that push-pull cables might not age well. I have decided, I think, to install the exact length cable in a piece of 5051 split tubing to keep the cable from sagging (the ole catenary curve?) between tubing clamps. That should keep it fresh and straight....

The list of drawing errors mount....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back