• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Fuselage Fuel Tank Retrofit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VF84Sluggo

Non-Communist
Reaction score
Folks,

I'm looking at getting another MA-5, but my concern is this:

The upper wing tanks are cracked and unusable. The fuselage tank holds 18 gallons, which looks like the size called for in the plans. The airplane has a Lycoming O-320 in it, so its a fair amount of fuel for a just flying around, but a little restrictive if going somewhere.

I used to own a Charger, and that builder (Richard Shutt) elected to not install wing tanks, instead putting in a larger 27 gal fuselage tank. I liked that.

Now, the problem, if you can call it that, is that the upper wing tanks in this Charger I'm looking at are fabric'ed in, so it'll require surgery on both upper wings, two tanks removed/repaired/reinstalled, fabric work and repainting of the affected areas. Seems like a lot of effort (ie $$$$$$) just to get 10 more total gallons of fuel.

So, I'm wondering how hard it would be to remove the 18 gal fuselage tank, have a bigger one made (25-27 gal capacity) and installed? All in all, this seems like an easier path; certainly less "intrusive" than cutting, then reworking and repainting fabric (and hoping the paint matches!)

My next problem is I freely admit building a fuel tank that would fit is beyond my skill-set. Clearly the MA-5 has the room to accept a larger-than-18gal fuselage tank, but where would I get one?

Any help/advice will be appreciated!

Randy

Latest posts

Back