• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Fuselage Structure Surface Corrosion Treatment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
While I am waiting for the top wing spars to come from Aviat (thanks for everyone's feedback on that thread), I thought I would start taking a detailed look at the fuselage structure of the partially started kit I purchased. The previous builder installed all of the nut plates (all 130+ of them), the landing gear, tail wheel, rudder and the removable cabane strut.

This probably could be posted to a more general forum as it has little to do with the Eagle, so I apologize in advance if this is the case.

As I inspect the steel tube structure, I notice some roughness in a few areas, mostly on the vertical stabilizer and rudder as well as some spots elsewhere. In these areas, if I run my hand across them, it's not as smooth and shiny as in most of the other places and I have concluded that these are areas have some surface corrosion. I doubt if the pictures will show much, but I attached a couple areas (with and without this surface "roughness").

IMG_1497.JPG
Surface Corrosion

IMG_1498.JPG
Surface Corrosion

IMG_1499.JPG
Surface Corrosion

IMG_1503.JPG
No surface corrosion

IMG_1504.JPG
Surface Corrosion

I suspect I should take care of this before going forward. I don't think it requires a full media blast of some sort, but hoping that I can get away with the following steps (assuming use of Stewart Systems for ) in the affected areas. I found these steps in the Stewart Systems online forums.

1. Clean suspect areas with STEWART SYSTEMS EkoClean (E670).
2. Scuff sand the suspect areas with 320 grit sand paper or Scotch Brite.
3. Coat the suspect areas with STEWART SYSTEMS EkoPoxy Primer (E76XX)
4. Top coat the areas with STEWART SYSTEMS EkoCrylic (E5XXX) topcoat

What I am not sure about is:
1. If the above is a good method for treating the areas with surface corrosion including the selection of Stewart Systems (I like that it is "people safe").
2. Can I perform these steps just on those areas that have the surface corrosion? According to the Eagle manuals, the fuselage structure was originally coated with a "durable, abrasion-resistant black polyurethane enamel".
3. For step #2, scuff sanding is enough, no need to go any deeper?

Not that building this airplane will already be a challenge, it is proving to be another level of difficulty assessing and if necessary looking for the proper process to resolve the hanger/workshop rash I inherited. It's all good, lot's to learn.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,
Matt

Latest posts

Back