• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

G3i and Ignition Timing Advance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sc acro2

Reaction score
Hello,
Inquiries and questions,
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
The G3i system does not have a built in ignition timing advance. However, timing module can be added. Upon extensive in flight-testing with different timing/power settings and altitudes. We found the benefits from advancing the ignition timing not more than a couple of degrees off the stock timing recommendations just was not measurable (fuel economy/ power) with the Generation 3 Ignition system. The G3i system is so efficient on burning the air/fuel mixture with its Multiple Spark Discharge @ standard timing configurations there is no reason to push/advance the timing up to run on the edge of detonation to gain the very minimal if any benefits. The system is capable however of receiving a maximum advanced trigger signal that can be removed from in flight. With a maximum adjustable range of 15 degrees of retard or advance depending on how you look at it. By a MSD timing control module as shown in the installation manual. Personally, I use the timing control option to remove timing from my mags that are set @ 25 degrees (stock default) that is controlled by a adjustable manifold pressure switch for when I am in the higher boost ranges. Bottom line is that our engines are large displacement, low rpm that does require exotic timing curves for performance and economy, just an efficient ignition system.

Sincerely,

Thomas Shpakowwww.g3ignition.com

Latest posts

Back