• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Garth’s SKYBOLT 540

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GARTH

Registered Users
Reaction score
At age 18, after reading an article from a Sport Flying magazine (08/1979) that I had bought in a second hand book store in 1983, I decided to build a Steen Skybolt.* I was flipping burgers for Burger King and learning to fly at the time.* It wasn’t until a decade later that I had the time and the money to start building.

I ordered the plans in ‘93 and later that year a rather long box of steel tubing from Hale Wallace/Steen Aero lab, Marion NC.* I had read somewhere that the Skybolt was an excellent project for the first time builder using simple hand tools.* That was definitely a huge understatement.

I started the fuselage in a freind’s garage.* He was building a Glasair III.* He was also welding my fuselage and taught me how to weld.* I was building the wings in my basement.* I moved the project into a hangar that I had bought in ‘99.

I ran into many hurdles, sometimes putting the project aside for years out of frustration.* I never wanted to give up, though.

I’m hoping by starting a thread that I’ll be able to answer my many questions.

Latest posts

Back