• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Gas Caps

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guido Lepore

Reaction score

a friend recently bought a Pitts and asked what spare parts he should keep on hand. The two most common suggestions were gas caps and tailwheels.
On a short flight last week with about 4 gallons remaining I thought I noticed the gas cap (2" Thermos style) was slightly ajar. Moments later it was up about 1/4", then after a few seconds 1/2", I watched helplessly as it popped up, bounced of the windshield (I ducked just in case), and joined its brothers in liberated gas cap heaven.

My new one arrived from Aircraft Spruce a few days later and I noticed how much softer the rubber was and how easily it sealed. I guess when the rubber gets hard and they need changing they let you know by departing.

Noticed an old Australia AD regarding disappearing Pitts fuel caps, followed by disappearing fuel, resulting in off-airport landings. They regulate a restraining device for the cap. My previous flight was 2 hours over glaciers and grizzlies without any good places to even crash, so it caught my attention.

Most fuel tank installs I see have a single 1/4" breather tube down the gear leg and that seems to work fine. There's mention in the Aircraft Spruce catalog to drill a #40 (3/32') hole in the cap - anybody do this?

GuidoEdited by: Guido Lepore

Latest posts

Back