• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Gas Welding Practice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlieF

Reaction score

So, I haven't selected a design to build yet, and haven't been able to justify a TIG machine purchase yet; but I was getting frustrated at not making progress. I decided that at least I could develop my O/A welding skills. Why wait until I have a build underway, right?
I already have a small O/A setup- a Purox W-200 with several tips (I'm using a no.2). There's a local tubing supplier where I found I could get some 4130 (1" OD x .049 wall). A trip to the local welding supply for some RG45 and encouragement from DC8Mech and Randy and off I go.
I had been reading Jerry's posts and following his build log for a few weeks - more encouragement. Jerry even provided direct encouragement once he learned that I was going down this road.
The results below show the progress made after Randy's very constructive input. I went to a slightly acetylene rich flame, didn't use flux (I had been taught to weld with flux) and exercised more patience with the flame/puddle. By the way, the tubes are not nearly so distorted in reality. I think the camera lens did that.

20090128_074817_DSCF0076.JPG

Other side of the same piece:

20090128_075018_DSCF0077.JPG

And the next test:

20090128_075134_DSCF0079.JPG

20090128_075216_DSCF0080.JPG

Comments, input, criticisms, (even jokes!) welcome and solicited.

Thanks all,

Charlie

Edited by: CharlieF

Latest posts

Back