Gear leg filler

Discussion in 'Fabric & Paint' started by Randy, Feb 20, 2018.

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Feb 20, 2018 #1

Randy

Randy

Randy

Supporting Member Supporting Member

I am trying to decide if I will use fabric or metal to enclose the gear legs on the AcroSport. I used fabric on the SkyBolts and always had a drumming problem. This time I have added an intermediate rib between the fuselage and axel to attach ?? something to. Reguardless of what I use I am considering filling the void with foam to cut down on the drumming.
    So, my questions are - -

1) If I use fabric will the covering chemicals disolve the foam ?
    2) Will I have a problem with moisture not being able to get out ?
    3) And last, would it help stop the drumming if I shaped the foam so it is thicker at the center ?

Thank you,

P.S Smizo, you need to work a little faster getting the streamlining of your gear legs photo's posted - - I am waiting :)

2. Feb 20, 2018 #2

smizo

smizo

smizo

Moderator Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Haha workin on it Randy! Definitely go with aluminum. .025 will be fine.....

3. Feb 20, 2018 #3

TFF1

TFF1

TFF1

1. Maybe. 2. Could. 3. Probably.

My concern about using fabric is you will not be able to inspect underneath the covering or foam. You have probably seen Dana's pictures. I saw his plane when a friend owned it almost weekly and never saw the problem. If you use Stewarts coverings, it should not melt foam. I know of someone flying a homebuilt with foam ribs covered with the stuff. Water, may or may not be a problem. Depends on how well sealed the covering and foam is. A foam insert should make the fabric work well; done right it should not drum. The choice comes to, should it be light fiberglass instead of ceconite? The beauty is its a homebuilt; you get to build to what suits you.

Dennis5678 likes this.