• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

GLAC For Sale

jstreat

Reaction score
All,

I just completed the annual and test flew today. Wonderful flying aircraft. Gave it a good work out in the Acro Box. Flys hands off. Just a delight to fly. You can contact John directly or call me. I have photos in electronic format.

http://greatlakesaircraftcompany.com/GLACSales.html

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]1980 Great Lakes, Serial Number 834 for sale.[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular] This beautiful 'Lakes is painted red with blue & white trim, sometimes listed in the sales brochure as the starburst design. The airframe underwent complete rebuild by Centennial Aircraft Services, (Waco Classic's shop) in late 2012. The engine was rebuilt by Central Cylinder Service, Omaha, Nebraska. [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Avionics include a Bendix/King KLX-135A GPS/Comm, PS Engineering 1000 II Intercom, STX 165 Transponder, and JPI EDM 700 engine monitor. [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]N-5761Z is a low time airframe, 1,083 hours total time. Engine time since major overhaul is 21 hours, and the propeller has 81 hours in service since manufacture by Hartzell. Both sides of the fuselage are metalized from stations 25 to 73. The remainder of the airframe is covered in Ceconite 102.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]The airplane underwent a thorough Annual Inspection June 2014, and is ready for the summer flying season![/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Great Lakes Aircraft is proud to offer this fine airplane for sale: $124,500. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Please call (71[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]9) 648-5021, or email: [email protected].[/FONT]
[/FONT]

SDC13566.jpg

Last edited:

jstreat

Reaction score
Another GLAC going together for customer. Should be flying this Dec. Will be on the market in Jan time frame. Only 12 more to go.

JST

20171121_141403.jpg

20170912_111933.jpg

20170912_111944.jpg

saber25

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jamie,

Looking really good and will have to come up when it's assembled and ready for flight. We have a Great Lakes here on the field also.

Cheers, Hans

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking great! Any of the ones you’re doing for Duncan still going to get the Warner? One of the new Warner’s or a rebuilt old one?

iowaboy

Registered Users
Reaction score
How did you guys get all those? Are they all factory ships? Or some homebuilts?
John is a great guy. He gave me a ride once in his Great Lakes.
Mike

jstreat

Reaction score
N707RM and N80AM will be flat motors. Both Cert. N3812F will be the round motor 165 and will be done under FAA 337. Will remain Cert.

N80AM and N3812F were both damaged. There are three more in Texas and one in southern CO. getting repaired. I'm working with them both to get them back in the air. All Cert. People keep twisting them up on landing. Stay off the brakes:) Off to the paint both again:)

JST

Reaction score
I love the GL. Easiest handling taildragger on the planet. In the 70's my AME was a dealer and he sent me to Enid to pick one up. Got to meet Doug Champlin and his crew of builders. Glad to see the interest in these airplanes.

Dennis5678

Registered Users
Reaction score
iowaboy I second that.
You said you are going to build a Greats Lakes Biplane. And as a LSA.
Wow, what are your plans to reduce weight? What engine are planning on using?
Just like to see your action plan.
Go for it and keep us posted with photos etc.

jstreat

Reaction score
Great flying aircraft. Just a nice fit between a Pitts S2 and Stearman. Add a round motor and you have a classic.

JST

iowaboy

Registered Users
Reaction score
Dennis,
Here is what I am shooting for.
Single place, no front cockpit seat, no front cockpit panel, no front cockpit stick, no front cockpit rudder pedals
No wheel pants
Original factory ship flew on 90 hp. Weighed 970 lbs So 115-125 Lyc power, wood prop.
J-3 Cub type engine cowling
Light covering
Light weight starter and battery, no generator
Just build it light as I can.
Hand held radio
No lights naturally.
I have loved the Great Lakes since a teen when I built a control line model, My health only allows me a sport pilot lic. now. So I am going to try to do it.
I am going to New Mexico to get a welded up fuselage next week.
I hope I can do it and get it done.

Mike

iowaboy I second that.
You said you are going to build a Greats Lakes Biplane. And as a LSA.
Wow, what are your plans to reduce weight? What engine are planning on using?
Just like to see your action plan.
Go for it and keep us posted with photos etc.

jstreat

Reaction score
Another GLAC ready for Flt Test. Turned out pretty. Somebody is going to get a nice aircraft.

JST

20180120_123623.jpg

20180120_123730.jpg

Steve H

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd buy one in a heart beat if I had the money. I love 'em!!!

I originally said I'd buy "it" in a heartbeat, but then remembered you said it was a customer's plane!

Steve H

Last edited:

jstreat

Reaction score
GLAC lovers,

I just finished up this GLAC 2T-1A, Serial Number 0737 for the Great Lakes Aircraft Company Great Lakes here in Palmer Lake, CO. This is one of the nicest flying Great Lakes I've had to pleasure to fly. I performed the return to service flight this past weekend when it was 43 degrees F. It has cabin heat that really works. I gave it a good workout in the Aerobatic Box. Flies hands off. Very low times. TTAF 857.34 ENG SMOH 264.75 as of today. I will fly some more, so times will change. Stits with Aerothane. Custom paint scheme. Split nose bowl, Oil cooler on firewall, dual brakes, new style fuel valve, elevator pulley upgrade, cabin heat, pit covers. All new hardware during buildup. Excellent records. This one is a keeper.

You can contact the owner direct:
This fine airplane is offered for sale at $129,900.00
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 719.648.5021
http://greatlakesaircraftcompany.com/index.html

20180120_123656.jpg

20180129_153051.jpg

20180120_123730.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts