• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Gone West

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Baxter

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Gone West James Furlong

From time to time I get calls from other biplane pilot friends expressing their thoughts about numerous aviation events we have attended over the yrs. This brings to mind the many people pilots and family one has met during these travels and how they have effected and made an impression. At 78 and still chasing rainbows blue sky's and cumulus nimbus clouds one wonders when your flying days as a pilot will run its course. It seems that more and more of my pilot friends have come to that point either with health issues or followed by a trip through the pearly gates!

It has been over six months since my good friend Jim Furlong fell off the end of the earth. We first met about 2005, he was interested in buying a Starduster Too. I gave him a ride and some aircraft familiarization prior to becoming the owner of N379C and owned this airplane up until his passing. We attended many airshows and aviation events over the yrs and he really loved and enjoyed that little airplane so much. There is a lot I could write about our flying together. We did a number of Memorial and Vetrans day over flights, with me leading and him and Ted Dvorak as my wing man. Honoring those that have given their all with us as three Marine Corps Vetrans. But with Jim gone, and Ted no longer able to do so, it was just me this last yr.

I did not know much about his past when we met but apparently had owned and flown many airplanes, Bonnazas and a Bellanca Viking. But probably the most note worthy was his T-6, he owned it for many yrs and was a member of the Condor Squadron that was based at VanNuys. He flew many formation flights with that group that performed at airshows all over the country. He told me that one of his most interesting experiences was flying his T-6 from the back seat as a camera plane for the television show Baa Baa Black Sheep that starred Robert Conrad as Pappy Boyington. He also at one time owned A Bellanca Viking and his wing man was Worf the actor Michael Dorn that played that character on the Star Trek series. He also roomed with Bill Lear Jr who is a story all unto himself? Jim was between relationships dividing his time between two families, one in Oregon and the other in California.

Not sure what other types of employment he did before we met, but is discipline at the time was a recruiter of people and personal for business. His company was called Furlong Search, it was his job to find and select the appropriate person for the positions these businesses were looking to hire, A college degree is one thing, but the ability to get along with others as well as do the job were a big part of this business, and apparently he was very good at finding the right people to do so, being busy doing this right up to retirement.

One of my most enjoyable memories was flying up to Friday Harbor and \Roche Harbor spending the night with him and John Castellucci and staying over night at a really old hotel and all of us having dinner together. We also stopped at Port Townsend on the way then flying across the Strates Of Juan Defuca with the big Navy base of Wigby Island off to the south, and some of the best weather to boot. Each of us that have shared flights like this with good friends and fellow pilots cherish these memories as this is what it is all about. So Jim where ever you are my friend Gods Speed flying west as many of us old guys are not that far behind. Thanks for the memories your friend, and fellow pilot. Dave

SAM_0552 small.JPG
SAM_0427 small.JPG
DSC09482 small.JPG
DSC01281 small.JPG
DSC01289 small.JPG
DSC01249 small.JPG
DSC01270 small.JPG
SAM_2348 small.JPG
SAM_2353 small.JPG
N379C Furlong.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts