• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Grove gear mount

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Defenseman1

Registered Users
Reaction score
I put a new Grove one piece gear on my Acroduster two years ago. I utilized radius block on the fuselage side with 7/8 inch edges to encase the 1 inch gear. On the bottom clamp with bolts I used the original radius bar Glen had made out of steel. I believe it is 4130 bar. Anyhow, it has worked like a dream and has been very smooth and straight. This spring I noted a harmonic almost mild shimmy like buzz in the main gear right at touchdown, but it smoothed out at about 60mph. I got inspecting the mount, and discovered that the bolts were a bit loose and the bar had bowed slightly fore and aft allowing about .075 gaps between the bottom of he gear and the clamp. I snugged everything back up and the thing is as smooth as silk again on landing. I thought I'd mention this for anybody running one piece spring gear. Good thing to check regularly. I talked with Doug down at Acro Specialties and he noted this is fairly common.

Latest posts

Back