• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Haigh tailwheel

Randy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a Haigh tailwheel they would be interested in parting with ?
Thank you,
Randy

taildraggerpilot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Randy,
I just removed one with the stinger to install an API tail wheel. I was about to post it.
My airplane had 340hrs at the time of removal, so I assume it has the same hours. My asking price is $350.

Sorry for the inverted image, the attachment upload on this site inverts it and won't let me correct it.
Ben

image.jpg

Last edited:

x2flycrj

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ben, I'm replacing my Haigh as well with an API.. Are going to leaf spring or a different round stinger? If a leaf, can I ask where you'll get it? Thanks! Greg

gmann750

Reaction score
This is what I have, I just replaced the aluminum spring with a cut down Haigh spring with a machined piece to accept the round stinger.

image.jpg

taildraggerpilot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a new stinger from Raven because I thought it would be easier to sell the haig as a single unit. I also wanted to drill/ream a tight hole and thought a new stinger would work best.

Ben, I'm replacing my Haigh as well with an API.. Are going to leaf spring or a different round stinger? If a leaf, can I ask where you'll get it? Thanks! Greg

x2flycrj

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotcha. Ok thanks guys. Appreciate it. I didn't know Raven made a stinger.. Cool.
Greg

taildraggerpilot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Be aware, they make two lengths. One is about 5 in long between the bend and the fuselage mount (bolt hole) and the other is around 3.5 in from the bend and the bolt hole. The latter is nearly the same as a haig stinger. However the Raven stinger is a bit longer overall. I think the stinger was around $200 with shipping.

Gotcha. Ok thanks guys. Appreciate it. I didn't know Raven made a stinger.. Cool.
Greg

x2flycrj

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great. Thank you. Good to know.

x2flycrj

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mind asking which API you went with?

taildraggerpilot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went with the 4 in. Single fork model was the a 20 degree angle. If I could do it over, I'd go with the 10 degree angle because the 20 degree on my plane has a negative castor angle. I didn't think the Raven stinger would flex so much with weight on the tail. I don't have any shimmy, so all is good.

x2flycrj

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, thanks, that's good to know. 10 Degrees.. So that Raven stinger.. is that just the round tube with brackets for $200 Thanks, G

taildraggerpilot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, the Raven stinger is bent at a 15 degree angle like the haig image shown in my earlier post.
The reven stinger did include a formed mount bracket.
If you are going to install the API tail wheel, I recommend modifying it to obtain full rudder deflection without the tail wheel breaking to swivel.
I'll post that info in another thread.

Latest posts