• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Haigh tailwheel

Randy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need a wheel replacement for the Haigh. 4" diameter, 1.75" wide (over bearings) with a 5/8" bolt hole.
Tried Spruce and Raven but didn't see anything. Anything out there ?
Thank you

race38

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Flyboy Accessories. Not cheap but they’ve got em.

ultimate200

Reaction score
I used the one that spruce sells as a replacement on my Haigh

Randy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you gentlemen for the quick replies.
Never heard of "Flyboy Accessories" Checked out their site and found only 1/4" to 1/2" axel size, nothing 5/8" that I need.
I had tried "tailwheels" at Spruce which did not pull up the replacements. I tried "tailwheel replacements" and got what I was looking for. Unfortunately, the only wheel with a 5/8" axel had less than acceptable reviews - "wore out after 150 landings, I carry a spare" or "R&K says their wheel is not recommended for the rotational speeds of landing aircraft" or "new wheel arrived with axel shaft drilled 1/8" off center" etc. etc.
I will check tomorrow to see if I can use a larger diameter tire. I don't think so but if I can it will open a couple more possibilities.
So, I am still looking - - -

taildraggerpilot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used the homebuilder’s tailwheel from aircraft spruce, p/n: 06-03500.

I upgraded the bearings and everything works fine. I have since sold the airplane, but the tailwheel lasted a couple hundred hours before replacement.

taildraggerpilot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I upgraded to the RSK bearings offered by aircraft spruce. The bearings have a .625 hole.
I have these bearings on my S2S as well and the seem to be working fine. My S2S has a .500 bolt, so some bushings were required.

cwilliamrose

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ 
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Late to the party here but if you look at the wheel the manufacture's name is cast in to the part. A search will lead you to a source or two.

Randy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bill, very logical suggestion. Unfortunately there is zero sign of any markings of any kind anywhere on the tire or wheel.
I might be able to pick up the bearing p/n with 10 power glasses but not even sure about that. I can barely tell they are even there.

cwilliamrose

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I went through the exercise when I was looking for an equivalent 5" wheel and found them online. I'll revisit and see where my search led me.

Randy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guess I jumped the gun thinking Ben solved my problems. Still looking for Haigh tailwheel sources.
Spruce does not seem to carry an RSK replacement bearing. They do have a recommended bearing replacement for the homebuilders special tailwheel but the reviews of this bearing are just as bad as the reviews for the original bearings.
As a last resort I may order the tailwheel and remove the bearings, get the size and see what I can find through someone like McMasters. I hate doing that because if it doesn't work out the freight to and from Spruce equals the cost of the wheel - - and I still wouldn't have one :(
Guess I will give this thread a week or so and see what pops up.
Speaking of shipping costs - 2 each 3/8" AN bulkhead fittings - - $14.37 shipping from Georgia to Michigan :(

taildraggerpilot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should mention, the wheel I listed above is what I used in my Haigh tailwheel on my S1C.

PittsDriver68

Reaction score
As Bill noted the wheels are made by R&K Industrial. They are a solid rubber tire. My experience has been that the rubber tire wears out well before the bearings. If you use the separate Spruce bearings that have a 5/8" ID a short length of 4130 tube works great as a spacer. 5/8" is 0.625 so you want a tube with 5/8" OD 0.065" wall and ream to fit.

Bearings - I have had no problems with the add-on bearings that Spruce sells for these wheels. The bearings I received were industry standard bearings that include an external snap-ring so that you can not press them further into the wheel than they should be and side loads won't push them in either.

Best of luck,

Wes

Last edited:

Larry Lyons

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Another option not mentioned is a careful measurement of the bearings needed. I.e. O.D., I.D., and width, to the thousands of an inch. count the balls or needles, and call Berry Bearing and get an old time sales rep. he will get you exactly what you want. I have done that many times in my career!

Cameron

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This tailwheel tire from spruce already has the 5/8” ID bearings. It’s an RK caster wheel.

IMG_1675.jpg

1 Albee

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You may want to contact Aircraft Products, they manufacture the homebuilders special the A/C spruce sells. Sometimes they are hard to contact by telephone.
Phil

Randy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I always say about this forum -- -- whine long enough and someone will take your hand and lead ya where ya need to be :)
Bill, thank you for the webb address. Again thought my problem was solved but when I got there I read, "our prices are password protected." What ??? Really irritating when a company forces me to set up an account for a one-off purchase, I moved on.
I just ordered the homebuilders special from Spruce. The bearings will last as long as they last then get replaced.
Larry's suggestion of going to Berry Bearingfor replacements sounds like a good idea.
Thank you Gentlemen.

cwilliamrose

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I noticed that. Maybe they're trying to protect their dealers? I didn't shop for the 5" wheels I'm looking to use but someone must carry their wheel products retail.

Latest posts