• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Hangar / 2nd Floor / Clear Span / Beam Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm seriously looking into building a hangar home. I am actively working on the design concept with an architect and structural engineer. The direction I am most interested in is building the style where the living area sits directly atop the hangar.

Structurally this poses the challenge of having clear span I or more likely W beams spanning the clear span width. I am trying to avoid any intermediate columns other than at the very back of the hangar where I would locate a bathroom and work room, or perhaps off to one side where I might locate an auxiliary overhead door bay adjacent to the hangar door for a vehicle.

That said, anything we dream up can be designed, quoted, and built...It becomes a question of $$.

Beam costs and size requirements are NOT proportional to the clear span.

So I am trying to determine what kind of clear span I should have on the hangar and hangar door.

I currently have the Charger and my wife is interested in getting herself a Sonex. Nothing else in the works at this time.

My CAD estimates show that with a 48' wide hangar at 44' wide door I could achieve the goal of fitting both airplanes in at the front and remove either without moving the other. That however is a minimum.

I want to build the widest/ hangar that I can afford.

So the question becomes where the curve diminishing returns really takes a nose dive on the cost of this type of construction is in regard to clear span and beam sizing. :confused:

Can anyone share some general advice on the matter before I start feeding money to the structural engineer?

Thanks,
Glenn

Latest posts

Back