• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Hangar talk question. Does the J3C65 Cub require the cowling installed to fly.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

an8pilot

Mike
Reaction score
Yes this is a monoplane question but I figured the people here have more experience and knowledge than most other places I've seen over the years on the net.

Hangar talk question. Does the J3C65 Cub require the cowling installed to legally fly.

I am a long time A&P IA , but I haven't found anything for or against the legality of flying a J3C 65 Cub without it's cowling not installed.

This only so the engine can be watched for where a leak may come from.

I watched the Cubs in Miami towing banners flying without their cowling often. With all sorts of different engines up to six cylinder. I assumed that they might have an approval.

I have learned in aviation that you can do anything you want to do as long as it is safe and prudent as long as the regulations don't say no.

I've also learned that the type certificate data sheets which the aircraft must be in compliance with has
an "s"on the end of sheet, which I assume to mean it points to all data put out on an aircraft which includes illustrated parts catalog, which may even be specified in the TCDS.

I haven't seen anything in the illustrated parts catalog or owners manual/POH or TCDS that refers to this question, so I thought maybe someone here might have seen something written somewhere.

Latest posts

Back