• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Happy New Year! I Think.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loopdloops

Reaction score
Well after flying the new Intermediate Known as well as some of the Advanced figures (way above my level) my pesky little oil leak became more than I can deal with. My suspicion was the prop governor but not completely convinced. After getting it off engine off the air-frame it looks to be the governor, accessory case, sump and case. Part that sucks is the overall condition of the engine is great. Excellent leak down and oil pressure is awesome. So my plight is to take it down and reseal or just go through the whole thing and freshen it up? The log books are kind of vague when it come to time times and repairs. It has a smorgasbord of cylinders on it. and I can almost guarantee that the camshaft is going to be questionable. So really I guess I answered my own question. So after talking with Ken out at Lycon he will get some of my work. O-ring the case and the reworking of the cylinders. I am hopping the cam is ok but if not the early camshaft is the ticket. It has more exhaust duration than the mid 70's cams. (220/220 @ .050" vs 220/230 @ .050") Also Ken DLC coats the Lifter bodies and says cam failures have been eliminated. I have a junk angle valve cylinder and I will work on the ports and digitizes it so I can CNC port them. It just kills me haw bad these things really are. Just paying attention to the valve job alone is worth some air flow which equals power. After that who knows. Maybe 4-1 exhaust? The stock system is pretty used up. I have repaired it three times now in the 130 hours i have put on it over 2015. Our S2A is ser# 10 and weighs only 1020 lbs.It was one of the lightest built. It probably isn't making 200 HP and flies pretty good. Energy management is key to a good flight. With some really minor changes and paying attention to the details on the internal parts you are using, finding a extra twenty is actually realistic. In my daily quest for power I have no registrants. This quest has big brother. There are many better ways to build these things. The experimental world has proven this. There needs to be change for the certified world in the interest of safety.

I wish everyone here a Happy and Prosperous New Year.

Charlie

Piits.jpg

Engine.jpg

Latest posts

Back