• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

harness attachments

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimW

Reaction score
What's wrong with this picture? Specifically, the harness attachments. Our seats are adjustable so it doesn't really work well to attach to the seat frame. I came up with the harness attachments shown.

20090817_083500_harness_attachm.JPG

Notice the aileron actuating arm location? The pushrods want to pass straight through the harness ends. DOH!

The inside hole to the rear was to mount the secondary harness which should be put on first and sit higher than the primary belt. The forward hole is of course for the primary. They are made from .071 plate. As told to me by Allen Silver, the secondary harness is really there to keep you in your seat if you somehow unhook the primary while or before inverted. I don't believe it is so much to account for the destruction of the primary harness attachment in a crash. This was the lightest thing I could come up with. I thought it was a good idea.

Fortunately it was only tacked. Now we will have to cut the tacks, remove it and come up with something else. I have some ideas brewing but they will undoubtedly add a small amount of weight from this version. Bummer.

Jim

Latest posts

Back