Has anyone used PPG 8800 over poly spray/poly Fiber?

Discussion in 'Fabric & Paint' started by Dances_with_cumulus, Sep 7, 2018.

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Sep 7, 2018 #1

Dances_with_cumulus

Dances_with_cumulus

Dances_with_cumulus

I am looking for a less hazardous and less expensive paint to spray than ranthane or aerothane on my steen skybolt project. Curious if others have tried PPGs aerospace paint (8800 series) over polyfiber sprayed with poly spray. Has it held up or cracked?

2. Sep 7, 2018 #2

TFF1

TFF1

TFF1

I have not but that paint is for metal surfaces that will get cold at altitude and land where it can be hot. It will probably be chip crack prone.

3. Sep 8, 2018 #3

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users Supporting Member

Polytone works well.

4. Sep 8, 2018 #4

Don Adamson

Don Adamson

Don Adamson

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Tho only way you are going to get PPG paint cheaper than Ranthane or Aerothane is if it is leftover from your employer.
    Hazardous? All catalyzed paint is hazardous to your health when spraying, even the one that thins with water.

taff likes this.
  5. Sep 12, 2018 #5

taff

taff

taff

Senior Member Supporting Member

This is also Polyurethane. As hazardous and probably as expensive + as other polyurethanes.
    It shows that it is resistant to Skydrol, I'm thinking it has to be a tough top coat for that and probably will not be suitable for fabric (cracking)
    I did not see any mention of a flex additive that would make it suitable for fabric airplanes

From the PPG web.
    Commercial Topcoats
    Desothane® HS CA8800 Buffable Polyurethane Topcoats

Desothane® HS Buffable topcoats are polyurethane coatings used to protect the exterior of aircraft. These high solids topcoats are designed to be applied over Desoprime™ epoxy primers and Desofill™ surfacers.

• Compatible with epoxy primers, surfacers, and intermediate coating
    • May be buffed to remove minor imperfections
    • Excellent gloss and image reflection
    • Retains gloss and color in harsh exterior environments
    • Can be applied in a wide range of conditions
    • Excellent impact and erosion resistance
    • Compatible with all spray equipment
    • Skydrol resistant

6. Sep 12, 2018 #6

kjkimball

kjkimball

kjkimball

Been there...Done that... Lifetime Supporter

PPG markets a set of products under a couple of brand names. The PPG paints we use on airplanes on top of Polyfiber fabric and coatings is Delfleet Aviation FDXH. Another product in the same series is FDGH and has been used on many fabric airplanes such as model 12. The PRC Desothane line is these same products with same chemicals, just different part numbers and labels. I think this 8800 product is one of these products sold under both brands.

As others have noted, it will not be lower cost than other 2 part urethanes. But, don't drink the Koolaid that it will crack or fail more or sooner than ran thane or aero thane or even poly tone. I have done years of testing on many products and can tell you ALL COATINGS CRACK on fabric and the notion that some won't and others will is simply marketing hype to get people to buy certain products. Yes, there are some that are more prone to cracks in some situations than others but aerothane and polytone will crack just as fast in those same crack prone installations. If the polyfiber brand stuff didn't get brittle and crack, why do they have so many pages int eh manual on repairing cracks in their products? Rejuvenator, discussion of plasticizers leaching out and so on not to mention how to fix stains in the paints. Th ePPG stuff we use is more flexible than aerothane or ran thane and doesn't stain.

Look, I get it. It is easier to support a product if the users uses all the stuff from one company. It is easier for a user to know what works by using proven products all from the same source. Just know that there are better choices but you have to do your homework to know what and how to do the steps if you wonder off the "company line" path.

Flyboyeaa likes this.
  7. Sep 15, 2018 #7

Leardriver

Leardriver

Leardriver

Registered Users

It’s what new Decathlon’s are painted with