• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Hatz questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana

Reaction score
I’m looking (again) at a Hatz CB-1 to replace my Starduster, which clearly isn’t going to be flying any time soon. I realize a Hatz will be much tamer than the Starduster, which could be both good and bad, I certainly learned last year about the downside of off-airport landings in the faster plane. And it would be nice to be able to take a passenger occasionally. 'Course I'll have to sell the Starduster project...

The particular one I’m looking at was built in 1990 with ~250TT and has a 1400 hour O-300 from a C-172 and wood prop. This plane was mentioned here some time ago, it’s the one that originally had motorcycle wheels and still has a short landing gear. The engine has exposed cylinders with Cub style eyebrows, I don’t know how cooling is in that configuration? It has a wind generator so no worries about needing ADSB or mode C.

The current owner says it climbs at 3-600 fpm, cruises at 80mph, and lands at 60. The cruise sounds about right for a Hatz, the climb sounds low for that engine (the Hatz was designed for considerably less HP, though at 950# empty it is about 100# over the design weight, gross is 1500). The landing speed seems high, though he says doesn’t know the actual stall speed since he never stalls it after a bad experience the first time he stalled it when the plane was grossly out of rig (since fixed) after reassembling it. How you can regularly fly a plane without being familiar with its stall behavior is beyond me, but that’s what he said. With the short gear I can see that it might touch down 3 point rather above stall, though I don’t know if he normally does 3 point or wheel landings.

Any thoughts or advice, things to look for/at?

Latest posts

Back