• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Having a issue with Flutter on my Left Aileron Connecting rod need help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firefly9r68

Registered Users
Reaction score
Ok so i have put about 120 hours on the eagle and more are ACRO hours +5.5 -2.5 usually. I have my level 4 Check flight this week and was out practicing last week and noticed on my 4 point roll that the LEFT and only the left slave strut shook a little. it ONLY did this on the Knife edge Right wing down. Now FF a couple days. Im coming into land and turn base and i notice and feel the Rod shake in the left turn. i notice i needed a tiny bit of RIGHT rudder that the ball was out right a bit and it stopped. Didn't think anything of it at the time flew a couple more flights and didn't do any Right wing down Knife Edge or 4 point rolls just all my normal stuff and it was all good. Now to yesterday. I went up to practice the inverted 180* turns and 4 point rolls again. Went to do the 4 point roll and got to the 3rd point ( rolling left) and it went to wobbling again. i quickly rolled up and leveled all out.and it stopped. I flew along and noticed now all it took to make it wobble was level flight and a little ball out of the center to the right and it would shake and wobble, so it had gotten worse. So i landed and looked it all over.
I looked through the build books and all it says for the Rods is to use the 3 rubber washers and lube and tighten up the nut and cotter pin it. SO i went around to all 4 attach points for the ailerons and found that the upper Left one was looser then i would like and the rod could turn side to side so i tightened it up and figured that fixed it. Took it for flight today and i cant make it do it in level flight anymore but under Knife edge even 45* right wing down and slight knife it will still wobble.

So here is my question has anyone had this happen and what did you do to fix it and what was the cause. Do i just need to tighten up that bolt more to keep it from being able to turn? Do these rubber washers wear out and need to be changed? Everything looks ok. Im about to make one new rubber washer and go around and tighten every point up and go try again, but i was just wanting to know if anyone had had this issue

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back