• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Having problems with my tail wheel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tradert55

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Skybolt and not having a tail wheel indorsement I contacted a CFI who owns a Skybolt very similar to my own to give me instruction. The problem we are having is with the tail wheel not breaking loose when turning the aircraft on the ground causing it to be very difficult taxi and turn on the ground and causing excessive breaking to get the airplane to turn. At first we thought the chains were to loose so we shortened them up but that didn’t help. On his aircraft full left or right rudder and a quick tap on the brake will break it free to Swivel and he can make a reltively tight turn with a little power and full rudder. Mine on the other hand requires me to hold the break hard, which pretty well stops all forward momentum then a large application of power to get it to turn.

is there some adjustment I am unaware of? When we lift the tail off the ground and pull we can get it to break free and swivel but it’s very stiff.

Latest posts

Back