• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Heads up: R&D Skybolt Strut Attach Bracket Drawings clarification

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry

Radial Skybolt Builder: 220.45% completed
Reaction score
(As of today's date) There may be some confusion... If you have the hand drawn plans for the Radial Version of the Skybolt... you will have two different sets of strut attach bracket drawings (at least I did). Nothing on the drawings say that they are for one or another.

One is for the "D" version (why they were sent with the Radial version... I'm not sure) and one is for the "Radial" version. Not sure if someone ordering the "D" supplement gets the ones for the "Radial". From what JimW wrote in his build of the upper wing center section it doesn't look like the "D" plans come with both. He mentioned nothing about this...and he always mentioned when there were gotchas.

Dwg 210 (drawn by C.H.P. dated 3-4-03): These are for the Radial version

Dwg 403 (drawn by C.H.P. dated 9-02); These are for the "D" version

The individual CAD drawings are for the "D" version.

Not to confuse things (and you'd need to be looking at the drawings to understand this)...
- I used Detail A @ Sta 00 (front strut attach) from Dwg 210. Detail A from Dwg 403 could be used.
- I used Detail B @ Sta 24 (rear strut attach/sway wire) from Dwg 210. Dwg 403 (which was designed for the "D" version) has the rear strut attach and sway wire fitting as separate fittings. On the "D" the rear attach fitting goes at Sta 24 and the sway wire fitting goes at Sta 30. There is no Sta 30 on the Radial version.

(I'm not saying to do this but, if I were to do it again I'd readjust the bottom of the rear fitting on Dwg 210 to match the rear attach fitting from Dwg 403 - it's a better match for the tube structure)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back