• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Heat Box for Pitts S1

Reaction score
Does anyone have a plans built heat box they would like to sell. I have a S1 with a o360 and a PS5?
Would prefer to buy then build one.
Thanks
John

Reaction score
A firm application of "G" for about 15 minutes will eliminate the need for heat. I promise!
Cross country in the winter is definitely not recommended!
Like to have froze my inclinations off trying to get our 2B to Chicago once upon a time.

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Reaction score
I had a S1C w/PS5C, no heat. (I think he was asking about carb. heat) Never had heat , it's TT was close to 800 hours.

Jack

I haven't had cabin heat either. Short trips below 40 F.....

Mmalone442

Registered Users
Reaction score
Would you possibly be referring to the Airbox/Alternate air box on the plans? BTW what fuel delivery system in in the older plans? The PS5 or full up fuel injection? My plans are dated 1972.

Mmalone442

Registered Users
Reaction score
Leslie, like Bill said the plans air box are for a fuel injection servo and would need to be modified to fit the PS5

jrs14855

Reaction score
1975 era S1D plans purchased from Curtis, airbox as shown on plans fit PS5 with no mods to airbox. I originally set up alternate air as shown on plans but later removed it and bolted the flapper valve in cold position,
I flew from Syracuse NY area at ten degrees to Jacksonville area at 40 degrees in one day. The next time a snowmobile suit and boots with battery powered electric socks etc.

Morphewb

Reaction score
My first Pitts was almost a complete factory kit. The factory air box that came with the engine installation kit fit my PS5C with no modifications at all. All this happened in 1974 and I just always assumed the bottom part of the Bendix RSA 5 throttle body was identical to the Bendix PS5C pressure carburetor. There's a phenolic spacer shown on some plans and I'm pretty sure it helps space the RSA 5 to match the factory cowling scoop. Don't remember having a spacer on the pressure carburetor at all.

I did attach a T cable to the air box actuator arm but depended on the warm air inside the cowling to be my alt. air/carb heat setup.

aviatoratrushgreen

Reaction score
I haven't had cabin heat either. Short trips below 40 F.....
-------------------------------------------------------------
I bought my Pitts in in Italy in November and flew it over the Alps to get home. Temp was at about zero most of he time. Spent the night at Zurich and had to scrape the snow off the next morning. It was dam cold.

Latest posts