• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Heinkel He 51 Replica

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Garner

Reaction score
Hi all

I would like to introduce to you all my project: Three years ago I started research for my Heinkel He 51 replica. I literally started with a sheet of paper with nothing on it. At first I hoped to find copies of working plans but soon I had to realise that they are no more. I got copies of the handbooks in which nearly every item is described and photographed but there are only few line-drawings. Nevertheless, this was a start. In summer 2007 I came across a rare repair-manual in which are plans of the airframe. Using this we could redesign the fuselage tubular framework and also the airfoil sections. We now have nearly all upper wingribs done and are halfway through the lower wingribs. We are currently drawing the plans of the tailplane. The next step will be to build the wingspars.

We have an original BMW VI engine though it is a little tatty to put it mildly. We have managed to trace a second one but the owner is a bit reluctant to let it go, even though he always assures me that if he sells it, I'll be the one who gets it.

If you're interested I'll like to keep you posted. I tried to attach pictures but it didn't work (only members with sufficient permission etc. etc.).

Regards
PeterEdited by: Peter Garner

Latest posts

Back