• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Heinkel He51 pre WWII biplane project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Garner

Reaction score
Hi,

I started this project in 2005 with the ambition to replicate this aircraft as authentic as possible. In the following years I collected as much information as possible from all sorts of sources. So on paper we have reconstructed the wings and fuselage 100% accurately. I built the upper wingribs in 2007/08 and then started work on the fuselage. Only four tubes need to be attached to the nose before the tubulat framework is complete. Some of the fittings have been produced but they haven't been welded to the fuselage yet. All of the fittings have been designed however. The framework is only tacked together should some alterations needed to be carried out.
The wings of the He51 were made of pine which we also used for our ribs for which we used aerodux to glue them. Though we built a section of a spar for load testing, this hasn't been carried out yet. Like I said: the plans are there to build the complete wings and the fuselage framework.
The He 51 was powered with a 350 bhp BMW VI engine, but I guess an Allison would also do the job.
Due to health issues I have to give up my business and I won't have the financial means to continue on this.
Should anybody be interested in taking over this project drop me a line at [email protected]

The project has been supervised by an inspector from the German Civil Aviation authority and is located in Germany.

The nose area has progressed since this picture was taken:

pict0084ax.jpg

pict0078at.jpg

schorsch.jpg

Latest posts

Back