Hello & Acro Sport 2 introduction

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by redfire122, Mar 2, 2017.

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Mar 2, 2017 #1

redfire122

redfire122

redfire122

Hello, been a member for awhile & have found this forum to be my #1 go to source for information. Figured I should introduce myself & my recently acquired project.

I am David McEntire from just west of Indianapolis Indiana. Last August I picked up an AS2 less firewall forward. Originally it had a ford v6 but that proved problematic for the original owner. Purchased it for a incredible price less the engine. The airframe only has 21 hours on it.

So far I have rewired the aircraft from the battery to the bus. It did not have a master as all the electrons went through the ignition switch like a car. Am Currently overhauling a o-320 core that I had from another project. Recently received my case & internal parts back from Divco & Aircraft Specialties. Still need to purchase new cylinders, overhaul accessories & prop. Aside from the engine work it still needs a conical engine mount built and new engine cowl.

Picked this aircraft up as it should be something I can fly fairly soon. Was building an rv-8 but after evaluating work still needing to be completed and costs decided this would be faster to complete and a whole lot less money.

My day job is a mechanic for FedEx. (had not taken a lycoming apart in 30 years). I fly with the Civil Air Patrol primarily in there flight academy program for cadets both power & glider.

Hoping to have a boredom fighter and something to to search out the $100+ hamburger in.

IMG_0502.jpg

9D8F82AF-4EBA-4B58-80FF-200525C7CD83.jpg

C98ECCE0-B7B7-4614-AFB1-AA44783154F3.jpg

Jean-luc, jpr, Neil and 1 other person like this.
  2. Mar 2, 2017 #2

Dave Baxter

Dave Baxter

Dave Baxter

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Looks like a great start, and welcome aboard my friend.. Dave

redfire122 likes this.
  3. Mar 2, 2017 #3

jpr

jpr

jpr

Figured out how to edit this. Supporting Member

Nice looking bird! FAA site has the serial as 1 - do you happen to know what plans # it was built from?

redfire122 likes this.
  4. Mar 2, 2017 #4

smizo

smizo

smizo

Moderator Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Nice airplane, great start to a project! good luck with the build, keep us updated with photos!

redfire122 likes this.
  5. Mar 2, 2017 #5

Knight Twister

Knight Twister

Knight Twister

Good looking project. I'm in Indiana down south. Keep my Champ at Salem I83 but its home getting rebuilt. I was with ATA till the bitter end.

redfire122 likes this.
  6. Mar 2, 2017 #6

Cameron

Cameron

Cameron

Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nice ASII. Keep us posted.

redfire122 likes this.
  7. Mar 3, 2017 #7

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users Supporting Member

Very nice, welcome.

Only comment. The angle of incidence on the center section/top wing looks like quite a bit??

Jack

redfire122 likes this.
  8. Mar 3, 2017 #8

Lotahp1

Lotahp1

Lotahp1

I was looking at that one. You got a steal!!!! I regret not getting it but I'm trying to stay focused on my current project ;-) check the spars as he hit trees with the leading edge...he made it down ok so probably no damage except slight leading edge wrinkle but wanted to say something if you didn't know to look. They fly great...I would buy another in a heart beat. Except..I want 180+ hp next time. Mine had the 160 on it and was ok for two 215lbs guys and full fuel for Champ type performance...slightly more. Make the engine mount long like what was on mine. The current owner has it for sale currently on barnstormers...it's the blue one in mustang OK. Ask him to measure the mount. I believe it's slightly longer than plans. Everything else was to plans and with that engine mount it was a very good plane for all sizes. I believe with mount out of plans it can get tail heavy with two full size guys. Just my opinion.

redfire122 likes this.
  9. Mar 3, 2017 #9

Dennis5678

Dennis5678

Dennis5678

Registered Users

Talking about Acro Sport II. I read that there appears to be a tail heavy problem.
    Has any one thought about or done the top wing with a sweep back version.
    Maybe both top and bottom wings. I know it would be a very major undertaking to do that but doable with experts. Just food for thought.
    Maybe this would help in the snap rolls and spins. I saw the first one many years ago
    Down in Lakeland and it had stall strips on the bottom. And I think I remember in a pilot report that poss by Budd, that it would not do a
    Good snap and refered to the aeroplane as Honest Abe.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    redfire122 likes this.
  10. Mar 3, 2017 #10

Neil

Neil

Neil

Welcome to the world of Acro Sport. I built mine with a 12" mount and I have an O320A2B. That measurement is from the firewall to the back of the crank case. My preliminary CG findings are that with me in the airplane and minimum fuel and a metal prop the CG is at the aft limit. I gotta lose some of this 240. The standard mount is 14".

redfire122 likes this.
  11. Mar 3, 2017 #11

crankyklingon

crankyklingon

crankyklingon

I think mine has a 14" mount and I'm running an angle valve motor and metal prop.

redfire122 likes this.
  12. Mar 3, 2017 #12

Neil

Neil

Neil

If the pilot weight is over 220 and are using the light weight 320 and a wood propeller a 16" mount makes a nice flying airplane. Use a small battery like a Odyssey PC680 and mount it on the firewall.

The Acro Sport II has a pair of very powerful balance/trim tabs on the elevators. Some pilots find the elevator pressures a bit light and this is often mistaken for an aft CG condition. Isolating one of the balance tabs does much to add some control pressure to the elevators. I flew the prototype both ways and using only one of the tabs felt more natural. Some airplanes have been built with only one tab.

13. Mar 3, 2017 #13

redfire122

redfire122

redfire122

Thanks, to everyone who responded with well wishes.

Will check on the plans # when I get home

knight twister-- I'll haven't checked it yet but certainly will when I put it all back together.

lotahp1-- Your right it does have slight lower wing damage. It has 3 small dings about the size & depth of a nicklel. One more reason why I am not a big fan of auto conversions. Engine quit several times while the original builder was testing it. Not to mention the aircraft empty weight was over 1200 lbs.

Neil & others. Regarding the CG. I am also concerned about aft CG. Compounding the problem is the battery is behind the pilots seat. I replaced a monstrous auto battery and a back up battery with a small odyssey pc680 that only weighs about 15lbs. Thought about moving the battery forward but left it in the original location for now. I know the plans call for a 14" mount but was planning on extending it to 16" Hard to know for sure since I don't know the weight of the original engine, reduction unit & prop. That knowledge would make it a simple math problem. I weigh about 240. Engine will be a basic 0-320 with metal FP prop. Good point about the double trim tabs. Will fly it as is with two and maybe take your advice if I want to reduce the response.

Sincerely, Dave McEntire

14. Mar 4, 2017 #14

redfire122

redfire122

redfire122

By the way the plans are #1005

jpr likes this.
  15. Mar 4, 2017 #15

redfire122

redfire122

redfire122

And to jpr the plans are #1005.

jpr likes this.
  16. Mar 4, 2017 #16

Lotahp1

Lotahp1

Lotahp1

Be sure to ask the seller of mybold plane if he will measure the mount. I know it's longer and it was perfect for exactly what you're doing...it even had a metal prop. Check it out on barnstormers.

17. Aug 2, 2017 #17

Oklahomajoel

Oklahomajoel

Oklahomajoel

Joel Howard from Oklahoma and I'm building a as2

18. Aug 3, 2017 #18

Neil

Neil

Neil

Hi Joel. There are a bunch of Acro II builders here.

19. Aug 4, 2017 #19

Larry Lyons

Larry Lyons

Larry Lyons

Registered Users Lifetime Supporter

Welcome Joel, but please repost on your own thread as you will be hard to find later. And photos! Please, we love'em.

L

20. Aug 4, 2017 #20

smizo

smizo

smizo

Moderator Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Hi Joel, nice to see you on here. start up a build thread and look forward to following along!

Vetteman likes this.