• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Hello everyone!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim nash

Reaction score
I have been looking to build a plane for a while now. I have over the past weekend through aquired Acrosport II #805 and #806 kits. This unfortunately is from the passing of a friend 4 months ago. I Never even knew he had them and just happened to mention to his son in law that I was looking to build something. He called my son up and told him you guys need to come look at something. Both of the frames and empennages were completed back in the late 80 to early 90's. The kits were being built by two buddies and when the first died suddenly the remaining gentleman lost interest. Both frames have been stored inside. Besides a small amount of surface rust everything looks great. He was an a&p so the work is beautiful. We are still digging to find bits and pieces. So far we have two frames, one with complete tail feathers, sitting on landing gear, and is overall further along in the build than the second frame. Looking at his plans, the last thing he has marked is the building of the yoke assembly on the more complete frame. The yoke hasn't been welded up yet but the cut pieces are there. I have 36 wing ribs. No spars have been found. He was obviously planning on putting the Ford v6 on it as I saw the paperwork and the son in law had an a-ha moment of, so that is why there is a brand new Ford v6 in the hangar. I have 3 binders full of paperwork and pictures of the frames being built. Few pictures of the ribs. We did find the rib jig but I have yet to come across many other parts or wood. I have 6 wire braces with ends. The materials list has everything checked off, so at one time he had all the parts. We have gone through both hangars but still have a storage building at his house to go through. I am a licensed pilot. But just Cessna type flying for the 100 hamburger. What are my hurdles with taking this on that some of you more experienced builders immediately see. I own an automotive shop, and have built several tube framed race cars from the ground up so I do have a lot of building and fabrication skills. I know I would need the collective brainpower that I have already seen just by reading this board for the past three days. Does the age of the build concern any of you? The ribs and frames have all been stored in a climate controlled hangar. Ribs have no moisture staining and wood looks perfect. Please give a newb any and all thoughts, what to look for, good bad or indifferent.
Thank you for your time

Latest posts

Back