• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Hinge Bracket Destruction Testing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottly

Reaction score

In another thread, I detailed how I deviated from plans for my aileron hinge bracket. I decided to use a threaded rod bearing, which required me to use a different thickness tubing.

While making my hinges, there was one that was just not up my standards....it wasn't straight and just didn't look right. So, I decided to make another and use the crooked one to test my weld, and my whole product.Out came the hammer.....

As you can see, my welds are pretty good, if I do say so myself...

20071020_164138_hinge_destructi.jpg

So, I calmped it in a vice and started whacking it with a 48oz ball peen....and I bent it up good....

20071020_164248_hinge_destructi.jpg

Since nothing broke yet, I kept on hitting it until something DID break...

20071020_164350_hinge_destructi.jpg

WHat broke was the metal...the weld was still intact....Here's the opposite side of the above pic:

20071020_164442_hinge_destructi.jpg

You can see a nice tear in the metal, but still no weld breakage. I beat this thing more...until I bent it all the way around to the opposite side...

20071020_164604_hinge_destructi.jpg

And the only thing that gave on these was the base metal. remember, a 48oz hammer and enough wacks to tear down a brik wall and then some....no weld breakage. Here you can see the end result...a few more metal tears at the weld, but no weld breakage.

20071020_164759_hinge_destructi.jpg

I will be comfortable flying on my hinges, that's for sure.
My suggestion is that others test some metal parts int he same manner they test glue joints. It's just a little bit of peace of mind.

Latest posts

Back