• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Hiperbipe

pbrannan

Supporting Member
Reaction score

StinsonPilot

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I'm loving mine, I paid about that for it.

toobuilder

Reaction score
You think $37k for a 165 MPH, 2 place, fully aerobatic biplane with only 550 hours since new is "overpriced"? Ever looked at what a 20 year old RV-6 is going for today?

Hiperbipes continue to set the standard for a true dual purpose machine in the biplane world - they are fast and comfortable cross country machines and when the mood strikes will "G" with any of their contemporaries. Unfortunately, you only know how good they are AFTER you own one.

pbrannan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, it sat on the market for a few months at a higher price. That's the reason for my comment. He's dropped the price by about 10k. When things sit that long without selling my conclusion is overpriced or other problem, which in the end boils down to overpriced.

I love the Hiperbipe concept, that's why I'm asking.

toobuilder

Reaction score
When my hiperbipe was on the market at "great deal" price with no action, I RAISED the price and it sold almost immediately. Mine went for the same ballpark price as this one with a LOT more hours on it. This one sounds like a good deal. IIRC, The owner of this one was looking at mine at one point. The HB community is tight, but I dont have any firsthand knowledge of Butch's example.

Unfortunately, Hiperbipes are the red headed stepchildren of the homebuilt world. They just dont pull the money like their performance says they should. More and more seem to be seen as a source of parts for yet another RV spamcan and thats a real shame. They are very good airplanes.

StinsonPilot

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Flew mine from Washington State to Georgia last summer.
Averaged about 160-165 mph in cruise. That was with me, 200 lbs, my brother, 225 lbs and about 50 lbs of baggage in the cargo pit.

Jerry

Radial Skybolt Builder: 205% completed
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sweet looking plane... Always loved the HB. A real cross-country machine with two wings.

Thorpdrvr

Reaction score
Definitely a cool looking plane!
How big of a concern is the potential rib/skin/glue problems I read about somewhere? Have many owners experienced problems or found deficiencies in the wings? Maybe that is having some affect on the resale value of Hiperbipes?

deaneborghi

Registered Users
Reaction score
Do most run the O-360, or is that just the “preferred” engine?

Enzo

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Hiperbipe community has ever addressed the lack of fire protection in the cowling area over the accessory section of the engine? The windshield extends over the accessory section of the engine and it's attached to the top cowl section. I noticed in the photos of the one for sale that it has bare fiberglass above that area. It has a firewall, but with that unprotected cowl section exposed, any fire will easily burn through that area and vent heat, flames etc right into the cockpit. So far I haven't seen any images of a Hiperbipe that has fire protection added in that section of the upper cowl. I bought a project from an insurance company many years ago and the builder had left that section of the cowl bare. I no longer own the plane, but I told the new owner that they should consider doing something about that issue. I had planned on installing a ceramic blanket in that section of the cowl. The blanket material I had looked at would easily tolerate direct flame for quite awhile based on how I had seen it perform in an industrial setting. It's likely that better products exist now.

toobuilder

Reaction score
The potential for fire to burn through the top of the cowl and into the cockpit is certainly a possibility, but Im not sure how often fire goes "up" (against the wind) at flight speeds for any downdraft cooled GA airplane. Certainly a concern on the ground though. At any rate, the HB does have doors that jetison in flight for quick escape - better have a chute!

The glue in the wings is an issue, but this is a known problem for decades now and I suspect many have been rebuilt. I completely re did my lower wings (to include new spars) and it was not very difficult.

TFF1

Reaction score
What there is out there is a trove of unfinished kits hiding. At some point they have to surface.

Melndav

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately they only made about 95 kits with probably about 50 completed. Doesn’t leave a lot left, if you find one you’d better grab it.
While the glue in the wings is a problem, so far it hasn’t been to bad of a job to rebuild them. I have literally been able to disassemble a wing with a putty knife and a small rubber mallet. The old glue is so brittle it just scrapes off cleanly. The one exception to this has been the spar doublers. For whatever reason they are still held on like concrete. I don’t know if it’s the wood type or the larger surface area of the glue joint.

TFF1

Reaction score
I thought the number was closer to 200, but even at 95, that’s a lot rolling around for the last 40 years to not surface. You would think there would be a couple of threads going here all the time. The old Yahoo page had some pretty good pics of wings being fixed. Not in any worse than recovering a regular plane, just different.

Melndav

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There used to be a list of all the kits and their original owners on the old yahoo site, I wonder if anybody was able to save any of that information before it went away....

Latest posts