• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Horizontal stab tube size and diameter? Problems with play in mount...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snap

Registered Users
Reaction score
Hey guys,

since I rigged my Ultimate two days ago to tack weld the wing mount brackets I wanted to tack the rear horizontal stabilizer attach tubes as well.

Unfortunately I found that the tubes of the elevator and horizontal stabilizer seem to be too big for the tubes that go on the fuselage. I checked the drawings - the parts are all build as per plans, no issue here.

The dimensioning is as follows:

1. Leading edge tube of the horizontal stabilizer: 7/8"*.058 (Splice welded tube piece for the exact purpose of fitting over the tube of the fuselage, the leading edge itself is 3/4")
=> So inner diameter is 0.759" or 19.278 mm

2. Trailing edge tube of the horizontal stabilizer: 7/8"*.035
=> So inner diameter is 0.805" or 20.447 mm

3. Leading edge tube or the elevator: 1"*.035
=> So inner diameter is 0.930" or 23.622 mm

The above mentioned tubes have to slide over the following tubes or bearings, 1 goes to 1, 2 goes to 2 and 3 goes to 3:

1. Front horizontal stabilizer attach tube (boltes and shimmed in place): 3/4"*.049
=> So outer diameter is 0.750 " or 19.05 mm

2. Rear horizontal stabilizer attach tube (welde in place):
3/4"*.049
=> So outer diameter is 0.750 " or 19.05 mm

3. Elevator bearing KP4:
=> Outer diameter is 0.9014 or 22.896 mm

This means, that I have the following clearances:

1. 0.009" or 0.23 mm
2. 0.055" or 1.39 mm
3. 0.028" or 0.71 mm

Well, No. 1 is acceptable in my oppinion. But No. 2 and 3 can't work.

What tube sizes are used on the Pitts models? The setup is the same. Hopefully someone can enlighten me - for now I'm pretty frustrated. Hoped to be able to make some progress on the build, but now I'm only thinking about how to solve this problem. I for sure won't weld anything in place that hasn't a perfect fit.

I absolutely appreciate your support! Thank you for every single oppinion.

Wishing you a merry christmas and a happy new year ahead!

Latest posts

Back