• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Horizontal Stabilizer Incidence

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Baxter

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I have read some of the other posts RE: this subject, but am still not clear as to the correct incidence that the horizontal stabilizer should be set at for the first flight? I think it will be ready by mid summer, however I would like to adjust the front ( H ) cross tube to as close as possible with the correct incidence as I would prefer not to cut into the fabric after it is painted . The aircraft is a standard Skybolt with the taller gear an O-540 B1B5 235 hp Lyc engine weight is 395#lbs, with the battery behind the rear seat and a Mc Cauley fixed pitch prop that has a 4" aluminum prop extension. The fuselage is pretty much finished through silver as are the horizontal , elevator ,and rudder , the fuel system, plumbing ,wiring, instruments are installed. The lower wings are ready to cover less L E the upper wing is where most of the work is yet to do. It is my understanding that with a tail heavy airplane some positive incidence would be required , however with the heaver 540 the airplane would be nose heavy therefore should require some negative ? incidence so if some of you guys have a good idea RE: this subject please comment Dave

Latest posts

Back