How do you arrange for payment

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by S2e, Oct 1, 2018.

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Oct 1, 2018 #1

S2e

S2e

S2e

I have a couple of things I want to sell. Before I post them in classifieds (with a price), I wanted to ask how you guys typically handle payment. (I’ve never sold anything online before. First up will be a Hartzell spinner & backplate. So, not a whole lot of money at risk here.)

Thanks

GT74 likes this.
  2. Oct 1, 2018 #2

Dana

Dana

Dana

I usually use paypal for anything I sell online.

3. Oct 1, 2018 #3

Larry Lyons

Larry Lyons

Larry Lyons

Registered Users Lifetime Supporter

I believe PayPal is the easiest for everyone. I've had great experiences that way.

Flybipe likes this.
  4. Oct 1, 2018 #4

Dennis Flamini

Dennis Flamini

Dennis Flamini

i have also used paypal and checks.
    Anyone on the Forum has been ok to trust...so far.

5. Oct 1, 2018 #5

IanJ

IanJ

IanJ

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Yep, Paypal or check, whatever seems to work. Everyone I've dealt with so far has been trustworthy. I think this is a small enough marketplace that there's no profit to be made trying to run scams, and we have such deep domain knowledge that a scam would be spotted pretty quickly anyway.

6. Oct 1, 2018 #6

lakeracer69

lakeracer69

lakeracer69

Registered Users

If you're not a Paypal person, and I'm not, ask for a POSTAL money order for payment. Other money orders are sometimes uncashable on your end, and can only be deposited in your bank, here you hope the thing goes through. Many Post Offices will cash their own if they have enough cash on hand. Never had a problem with them.

Some place like Western Union won't even cash their own money orders. I have seen this first hand. Paypal and Fleabay also anti gun if that affects your decision. They also seem to have issues with credit card data breaches, over the years, myself included more than once. Most people are great to deal with, but I'm not interested in a check from anyone. Pick your poison carefully.

YMMV

7. Oct 1, 2018 #7

Airplanebarn

Airplanebarn

Airplanebarn

Slow building a Starduster Too . Love Tailwheel Fl

I have used Walmart's System to Send money places . All the person receiving the funds needs is a Number and their name . They usually have plenty of cash on hand . Maybe go to your local WM and see how You can be sent funds . Quick and easy .

8. Oct 1, 2018 #8

mekstrand

mekstrand

mekstrand

I use PayPal or personal checks. In 20 years, I’ve never had a bad transaction selling airplane parts to airplane people.

9. Oct 1, 2018 #9

lakeracer69

lakeracer69

lakeracer69

Registered Users

I forgot about this one. I've heard that it is ok too. Depends on how expensive the A/C stuff is I guess. Most isn't cheap.

Humans are human, and there are many varieties good and bad. Just need to CYA. Yes, aviation only attracts the best people. :rolleyes:

10. Oct 2, 2018 #10

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users Supporting Member

With regular forum members I use a check, I usually go ahead and ship trusting that the buyer will pay/send a good check. Usually the same when buying. Only a few transactions-no problems. Not big money either.

As a former gun dealer and long time collector/shooter/ccw etc. I do not do paypal although they do handle CC sales on many online things like ebay

Jack

11. Oct 2, 2018 #11

Flybipe

Flybipe

Flybipe

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I’ve been selling airplane parts online for decades. I have had two bad experiences, one with a forum member, one from the IAC Exploder. One cost me about $450. The other, well...I’d rather not say.

PayPal is the way to go. Don’t ship until you’ve been paid. If they pay via PayPal then they have recourse via PayPal if you never ship the item. Works great for everyone.

12. Oct 2, 2018 #12

Knight Twister

Knight Twister

Knight Twister

I take personal checks from established forum members and I will do paypal as a seller only on the family and friends option unless the buyer wants to pay the fees. I don't have a crystal ball but I tend to trust airplane people. I often send stuff before I get paid. I live in the country and don't go into town every day so if I sell something it ships when I go to town. I avoid fire sale transactions unless the buyer says he's AOG. In 42 years of fooling around with airplane stuff I have only been stiffed once for a J3 exhaust system. The buyer was in my state and I have seen two different ads on barnstormers where he ripped off people. I will have a special handshake for him if I ever meet him in person.

13. Oct 2, 2018 #13

will moffitt

will moffitt

will moffitt

Will moffitt Supporting Member

The only caution I would have buying on this forum is if the seller was a new member with no history. I have sold here and the item and check crossed paths halfway about Kansas. I have also sold with a addressed envelope in the item box for the buyer to put a check in and mail. As a buyer of a large item such as an engine I would not expect that courtesy and would ask the seller how he would like payment. I have also given on this forum and have also been given too. Good people all.

I have sold a ton of stuff on ebay, craigslist, and a few things on this forum. Also bought a half ton or so. Mostly boat stuff but some airplane parts. I bought a partial BD5 kit at a local auction and sold it to a fellow in Korea. Japan, Canada, Europe. Never been burned. I have a separate bank for my stuff. I had that debit card cleaned out a thousand, twice. The bank covered it both times of course. Have since learned how to prevent that. My favorite is Craigslist. I have a nice 30' Newport sailboat on that now. Nice one. Can't give it away. Small stuff I will ship before payment. An engine, payment first. Sailboat engines, come pick it up and bring cash or visit the atm when you get here. I went up river last fall to buy some elk antlers. That guy was creepy, could not get out of there fast enough. Told the wife I hoped never to see him again. She had beat me to the car, hey, I was carrying a lot of antlers. On the phone he told me cash, no checks.

will

14. Oct 2, 2018 #14

Larry Lyons

Larry Lyons

Larry Lyons

Registered Users Lifetime Supporter

Love the tales here and as always, it adds up to how much credit you give your intuition! I know I know, intuition! But if you’ve been here awhile I’ll think about it. But as always, buyer beware/seller beware!