• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

How much Clearcoat?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigblackmastiff

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I've been away from my project for awhile but am ordering the materials for my next step. I'll be completing the woodwork by adding Wooden leading edges, wingwalks and ply skin on the centersection top.

My question is how much System Three clearcoat and T-88 will the job require?

The product description suggests ...12 oz. kit will cover approximately 50 sq. ft. with a 3 mil. coverage. I am expecting from reading other posts that i'll need to expect two coats, but i dont know how that compares to the 3mil described...thus my question.

For my project total area for clearcoat is approx 228 square feet...this does include both sides of ply.

This would be 55 ounces or 1.7 quarts or 3.4 pintsof clearcoat at the mfg. suggested coverage.

If this is correct for the thickness desired i'd need to buy a 3 quart kit for $111.00.If i need less than 3 mil then maybe i could consider 3 pints at $68.00.

Also the ply will be glued onto 72 ribs...18" of capstrip covered per rib plus the spar area top and bottom (240 linear feetx 1.25 inch.) About how much T-88 to do this?

Just looking for some opinion from those that have complted this task. I've got a bit more wing than a skybolt or similar but maybe can eliminate over or under ordering if i get a ballpark of what was used on other projects.
Thanks..Dan
20110802_131243_500-1.jpg

The aluminum roll by the maingear was originally planned for leading edges.
20110802_131356_500-2.jpg

Latest posts

Back