• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

How much does a prop strike reduce engine value?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pullin_gs

Reaction score
Got my engine logs finally today. After assured there was no prop strike found out there was actually two prop strikes one in 67 by Leavens and the 2nd in 2009 by Aero Atelier in Quebec. Major overhaul done in 1989. Engine currently has 870 hours. Not concerned on the one in 67 but very concerned from the 2009 strike. How much is this engine devalued? Nose gear collapse on landing for the 2nd strike. Camshaft replaced in 2007 after crack found in case at 600 hours and cylinders replaced. Looks like just front and main bearings, connecting rods and some seals/gaskets/orings installed at 2nd prop strike. Not sure if procedures are the same in Canada but I am starting to wonder what I bought...

Latest posts

Back