• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

How to force the rings to seat on IO-320?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgross

DR-107 (formerly jimrgross)
Reaction score
Does anybody have any tried and true tricks on forcing the rings to seat in a set of overhauled cylinders? The engine has approximately 50 hours of run time on the cylinders and three of the four still have wet oily plugs and my oil consumption is still high. I fly 30 minutes of acro and I am using a quart of oil. I know some is going out the tail but even just cruising I use a quart in 45 mins. Engine runs great in cruise and during acro. Smooth and very responsive with no back fire during acro. I am using Phillips M 20-50w straight mineral oil and have not switched.

Personally I think the guy who did it didn't break it in correctly.

I have heard of putting a little Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinder and getting it very hot and shutting down but I have not done it. Anybody had any luck doing this?

I also have thought about adding a whole small bottle to the crankcase to thin the mix as they say.

Any known true solutions would be appreciated. Oil is getting a wee bit expensive. I feel like I am running a big radial engine.

Thanks,

Jim

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back