• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Humidity changes and wood wings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonanzadrv

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys
This won’t show up to good in the picture but I just noticed on my wings that the varnish is cracked and the spar plate and spar cap don’t line up like they were once sanded to a flush fit.. My wings are not yet fully varnished (just the small doubler areas under plates). My lower wings spent about 3 months this summer in my uninsulated hangar guessing 60-70 percent humidity and now they are in my garage with about 10 percent humidity… my upper wing which I controlled the humidity to about 45-55 percent this summer and now it too is sitting at 10 percent also show similar misaligned spar plates and caps with just a faint crack in the varnish.
The plates seem well glued and nothing is loose..
just wondering if other builders in the north regions see this with big humidity swings?
I know Kevin Kimbal said they didn’t see to big of an issue with humidity because FL is about 50 percent year round.. I have read the story of Budd Davison’s Pitts that was moved from FL to AZ and had these spar plates peeling off the spars.. (which has me freaking out right now)

Trying to decide how serious this might be? Or should I just sand it back down flush and spray varnish over all of it?

Any opinions and input welcome and appreciated

Thanks Bill
40215FB4-28A4-45F3-8CD7-DC725D14811F.jpeg

Latest posts

Back