• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

I need another Smith Miniplane

bjkirby2000

Aerobat, Hawk-XP, Lancair Super-ES, Smith MiniPL
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
My Smith went down to a forced landing as a result of carburetor ice on 11/27 (NTSB preliminary report). It's gone-the swamp was the only option. From 800 feet to the crash site in twenty seconds. I thank God I'm here today. Perfect 3-point landing roll for 8 feet before it sunk 14" into the muck, then flipped and stopped. That was mud on the back of my head. We concluded that I do not have "sh*t for brains" as stated by the wife to the media. It really was mud honey:) Get to work Boys. Where's my new Smith Miniplane?

Bj
[email protected]
352-344-5678

I'd like a new one with any engine combination (excluding O-290) prerably inverted systems, structurally sound & decent fabric but not to picky about how rough the paint looks. This airplane will fly 3-4 days a week about 15 minute sorties and hung back up to dry. Please keep your ears to the walls. I'd like to have it in my stocking for Christmas. A&P with Cash in hand. Call me 352-344-5678.

TxSkyBolt

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I assumed you've seen the offerings on Barnstormers? Theres one here in San Antonio I see there from time to time.

Glad you survived. Scary situation.

Best regards,

Brad

nicko

Registered Users
Reaction score
The one here in San Antonio comes up on Craigslist from time to time (I could not find it on there now but it's probably because the add expired). From what I can remember it had an o200 with no inverted and he was asking around 10k. Looked like a nice airplane in the pictures

bjkirby2000

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Very good. I'll get on it with the EAA in San Antonio. I found one just outside of Houston It really sounds nice it looks really good but it's got an 0-290 that hasn't been flown in a couple of years and my trusty A&P is concerned about it being a money pit. Edited by: bjkirby2000

bjkirby2000

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
We're still looking for a replacement for the Smith.

I've found a couple. A really niceSmith with an O-290D withonly about60 hours on the 2007 O-Hauled engine, fresh cylinders, new Slicks and Fiberglass tank. The otherSmith has an O-320E2A "0" timed in 92. and then there's the Super Acro Sport up in GA (O-320) thats changed hands a couple of times recently and scared the stuffing out of the currentturkey that owns it AND YES I KNOW that's not another miniplane. I'm thinking that the Smith is too much (small) like the Pitts S1C in my hanger and then there's aBeautiful Starduster SA-100 that's available. YEP-I'm thinking that maybe since I've done the miniplane thing maybe a little variety in the hanger might be a good thing. However, I really likeEd's originalMong Sport though and the Little Toot Tooters sure seem to be having a lot of fun, Tommy too! WOW-So many airplanes and so little money:) Enough-already... Bah! v-a-r-i-e-t-y

darylat8750

Reaction score
I think that the Little Toot and the Super Acro Sport would both be a nice step up in performance and feel over the Smith Mini.

cwilliamrose

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ 
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Or you could skip all the intermediate steps and find a nice O-320 powered S-1C. That airplane would have potential in terms of upgrades in both power and the wings.

planegene

Reaction score
bjkirby2000 said:
Very good. I'll get on it with the EAA in San Antonio. I found one just outside of Houston It really sounds nice it looks really good but it's got an 0-290 that hasn't been flown in a couple of years and my trusty A&P is concerned about it being a money pit.

Nice looking Red and White Mini Plane on E-Bay now just a couple days left

bjkirby2000

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score

Here she is! I'm watching the weather waiting to go up and bring her home. Actually, when checking the back-end maybe she's ahe. Anyhow, It's a Smith and it has an O-320E2A--not an ancient Franklin. It also has Flapperons (LSA for my retired airline neighbors) and lands at 45. Thanks for all your input everybody-as usual-nice job!This site is invaluable. The best advice of all was from the owner of this airplane who passed away the day after our last conversation. "Patience. you must have Patience"! WC Sisk-Will Be Remembered!
Edited by: bjkirby2000

smizo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Nice lookin bird!

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad you found another Smith....But!

As my buddy told me when I was looking for my first sport bipe back in 1978 when I asked him about a Smith:

(with due respect)

"Just another face in the crowd"

I ask: What should I get?

He said:

PITTS!

I found an S1C/150 and IMHO it was the best airplane I've ever flown!

But do enjoy your new miniplane

Jack

bjkirby2000

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Pitts S1C in the hanger with 225hp AND as you said "it is the best flying" - BUT, IMHO the flying is not worth the landing. IF it had Steve's Wolf Pitts Pro gear - then I'd be happy. Or not, I'd want a 365HP radial and a second seat and a backup engine - and cabin heat - and.... I'm never satisfied! The Smith was a ball and I can't wait to get the new one home.

bjkirby2000

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Here Here it is again-this time at home. Very solid bird. Well built great fabric and paint. The wings are a different airfoil than the other plans-built Smith. The control hardware is totally different. It's all machined and drilled (zirked) connector unions and hinges. This one even has flapperons (3 knotches) that are lever actuated and they really work. Another foot or more in length on the nose, 8 inches wider in the gear width(biscuit no bungees or springs) AND the Scott tail-wheel is about 3.5 inchesfurther behind the airplanethan the other one. Visibility is better and the carb-heat is more effective. New leather trim on top of the turtle deck and an adjustable seat with storage underneath. PTT on the stick and wiskers on the belly. NOW-No Starter, No ratchet, Needs a new prop and EGT probe (Westach). Did I mention - no starter?

And, if you ever want something moved, call Taber Hyde in North Carolina. Tail-wheel insurable (1,000 hours). He got in (45 degrees, 2 inches of water on the runway) and flew this thing 7.5 hours to get it to me on time and within budget. Call me if you want his number. Oustanding Young Man. BJEdited by: bjkirby2000

bjkirby2000

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking for a prop. When the airplane arrived, it showed obvious wear and tear. The previous field was a grass strip like ours but apparently had quite a bit of gravel. During the 700 mile flight South from Indianathe propdeveloped a split in one of the tips on the wood prop. I hauled it to Sensinich today and Charley says it can be repaired but it's ging to take several weeks. So, i'm still looking for something to put on so I can fly the airplane. It's killing me to sit and wait. 72X58 wood needed (or thereabouts).Edited by: bjkirby2000

Latest posts