• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

I strut attach point compressing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ddagasso

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Happy Easter

I have noticed the front I strut attach point compressing into the paint,fabric, wood on the upper wing

I believe this is quite common

this winter while I had the plane apart for the annual I had to detach The flying wires on the right side in order to remove the fuel tank for repair.

when I test flew the plane after annual I noted that I once again had rigging issues with the angle of incidence on the right upper wing tip decreased causing difficulties with spin entry to the right, I assume due to further compression at the right I strut attach point, my fault..... I miscounted turns of the wires when disassembling the wing and over tightened the flying wires on the right by 1 turn before checking the tension with my tensiometer and then backing it off

I have about ten hours on the plane since annual with +5 and -3 g loads on every flight. I am going to re rig the wings again as I had it flying well prior to the annual inspection

from my experience it takes me a few weekends of adjusting and then test flying to get the rigging to the point that It fly’s straight and stalls level, spins and snaps equally left and right

QUESTION...would a .125 thick 304 stainless steel plate between the wing spar and the first AN 970 washer decrease the compression I am noticing (by spreading the load)

if I need to increase the washers on the right I may as well do this and gain a tie down point
4F63AAE2-D400-4365-8EAD-6F0ABD305EF4.jpeg

thoughts?... this was posted under the tie down thread but I thought I could solve two issues at once rather than just throw more washers at the problem

dano

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back