• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

I strut bolt holes.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gha111

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like to ask Neil a question. I'm doing a complete rebuild on my AS1 that I bought 2 years ago. With a set of plans I've found LOTS of things that were not done or done incorrectly. As I took the wings apart, one of the things I noticed was one of the 'I' struts is about 1/2" shorter (or longer) that the other. I think I now know why. After recovering the center wing section, I put it back on the Gabanes and tightened the roll wires to where I had marked them on disassembly. With the plane level, the center wing was not level and dropping plum bobs from the attach bolts measured 11" to the right lower longeron and 9" to the left. That means the center wing was rigged 1" laterally to the right, which means the top wings were laterally off also. On taking measurements of the 'I' strut bolt holes according to plans, 3 are correct (within a few 1/16's) but the upper right wings holes are a full 1" inboard. Here (finally) is my question. I want to glue a 1/4" dowel in the existing holes and drill new ones to the correct dimension. A friend who is building a Starduster and an A/P does NOT like the hole drilled vertically through the spars, much less drilling one more set of holes just 1" away. I think with the spar reinforced with the sandwich of 1/4 ply and 1/8" steel plates through bolted might be enough strength for the second hole, but am not sure so asking your opinion. I've pretty much resigned myself to having to building new 'I' struts, hopefully saving the very expensive 3 1/2" aerodynamic tubing. Garry

Latest posts

Back