• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

I Strut Streamline Tube

jrs14855

Reaction score
There is also German tubing in common US sizes. I haven't bought from Spruce for several years but I think they sell both US and German. Wicks had a huge supply of Chinese, they now claim to sell only US. One other issue to be aware of is 4130 flat stock. Most designs call for 4130N, but there is still 4130A(annealed) being sold. In small pieces, especially narrow strips, it may not be possible to read the markings.

VH-FKS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do not use Chinese tube for aircraft use. We have a race car supplier here that’s bringing it in and it’s crap. Does not look anything like the US or German tube. Has no mill finish, looks a natural grey and has far more imperfections in the surface than the other tubes. The roll cage guys that have been using it have reported numerous spectacular let goes of the tubing while bending.

chrislange

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here in germany there is the company Tennant, which produces 4130 Tubing.
They sell various sizes of streamline tubing. I guess they only sell it in full lengths (means 6m)
1637493745960.png

ndlakesdreamer

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
If anyone has 3.708 x 1.571 x .065 I need 4 feet. As an alternate I can use 3.37 x 1.49 x.049 but would need 8 feet.
Any help would be appreciated
Dale

tigwelder72

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made an error in my info about the the March 2025 date. My fat fingers pushed the wrong date. It will be March 2024!

Latest posts