• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

LauraJ's Marquart Charger Build Thread, part 2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LauraJ

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
That's right, it's finally time to put part 1 to rest. I've finished* building ribs.

Tonight I started on trying out a method for profiling the wing spars. First, I made a "good enough" attempt at resawing a length of 2x6 to get a 1" thickness. It's a perfect 1" thick on the edges, but the fence that came with my table saw is definitely not machinist-quality, nor exactly 90 degrees, so the center of my faux spar is a bit concave. Good enough for what I'm doing, where the edges are what matter. If I need to do aircraft-quality resawing, I'll figure out how to do it on a bandsaw or planer.

I pulled out the trigonometry, and decided that the table saw blade would have to be set to 1.79 degrees (which is atan 0.03125) for the 1/32" cut on the bottom, and about 10.6 deg for the 3/16" cut on top. My first attempt at this was to use my inexpensive digital protractor to get the table saw blade to the right angle. I came quite close on the first attempt, seeming to achieve the desired 1/32" on the bottom edge, and 3/16" on the top edge, according to my unmagnified view with a machinist's rule and a speed square.

The spar's back length (4 7/16") is quite accurate, but the front is a bit short, 4.167" when it should be 4.219", so obviously my measuring is off somewhere. The too-short front is clearly shown when trying to fit a rib on my spar-ette, and it looks like my top cut angle is too steep, with about a 1/32" gap at the front of the spar, and the back of the spar about 1/32" too tall to fit most of the ribs, according to a random sampling. I believe the first jig I used was not set up quite right, as a rib from the second jig fits exactly right.

This of course raises the question: what's 1/32" between friends? If I profile my spar so it fits the majority of my ribs perfectly, it will have a gap of about 1/32" with the four wing tip ribs (the only ribs built on the second jig). Is a gap of this size a real problem, or the expected level of slop in a biplane built in some nerd's garage?

* Probably

spar-cross-section.png

spargap.png

Latest posts

Back