• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

LauraJ's Marquart Charger Build Thread, Part 4

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LauraJ

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Congratulations to all of you who have stuck with me so far. I feel like I'm moving into a new phase of the build, and 40 pages seemed like enough for the Part 3 thread. Welcome to Part 4 of my Marquart Charger build.

A quick review: I started building wing ribs in mid 2016, and was just about to start working on spars at the end of 2018, when my domestic situation changed, and I had to move, taking me away from the shop I'd put together. I spent about a year unable to make any progress on the build because everything was in storage, and finally restarted in April 2020, when I got my new shop in serviceable shape at the start of the COVID lockdown. Since then, I've made excellent progress (lockdown is good for something), having made wedge blocks (so many wedge blocks), welded all the wing brackets, and gotten them almost all coated. All the externally-protruding brackets were powder coated to a color something like Stewart Systems' Smoke Grey color, which is what I'll be using on the rest of the frame. Internal-only brackets have been primed, and will be painted Any Day Now.

As Part 3 was wrapping up, I was putting the final bevels on the wing spars, and last night I did the final bevel cuts on the aileron spars, marking the last time I expect to use my Very Long Fence table saw setup for a while.

Now, I move into the new phase that I'll probably be in for a few years: building wing panels.

And with the new phase come new questions.

Generally, I see the following tasks, in approximately this order, remaining before I actually start threading ribs onto spars and assembling all my pieces into wings:
  • Draw center lines on all spars
  • Cut tapered ends of spars
  • Cut spars to final length
  • Mark locations of ribs, compression tubes, etc. on spars
  • Build, set up, and level spar support jigs for the table (and build an extension table so it's 12' long instead of 8')
Does this look right? Anything I'm obviously missing, or planning on that seems out of order? Obviously there's a lot of detail that I'm skipping over, but I'm looking for major beats right now.

The relevant plans sections:

http://marquartcharger.org/plans/Sheet 05 - Wing Spars.pdf
http://marquartcharger.org/plans/Sheet 02 - Upper Wing Assembly.pdf
http://marquartcharger.org/plans/Sheet 03 - Lower Wing Assembly.pdf

Latest posts

Back